Review: Fingernails


Official Synopsis:
 Anna (Jessie Buckley) and Ryan (Jeremy Allen White) have found true love, and it's proven by a controversial new technology. There's just one problem, as Anna still isn't sure. Then she takes a position at a love testing institute and meets Amir. (Riz Ahmed)

This is a dream cast. A woman falling in love with both Riz Ahmed and Jeremy Allen White? I get it! Unfortunately the script doesn't live up to the actors' greatness.

I immediately thought of another film I saw this year about how technology affects relationships, and that's The Pod Generation. That focused on having children rather than true love, but even with its faults I found it to be a more compelling watch than Fingernails. 

This goes nowhere and feels underwritten, especially the back half of the film. I'm also puzzled by Anna's unwavering belief in this technology. She asks some questions, but never once wonders if the guy touting it is a fraud. I felt like we spent too much time setting it up, then not enough time following through.

This is currently available to stream on Apple TV, but there's a much better film also streaming there currently, and that's Flora And Son. I recommend catching that instead.

Grade: C

Comments

  1. I might check it out because I like those actors but I'm not in a rush to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's where I was too. I saw it got lukewarm reviews, but I do really like those actors.

      Delete
  2. Birgit here…it sounds good but it’s a shame that it faltered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, especially with this talented of a cast.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum