Review: The Marvels


Official synopsis: Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) gets her powers entangled with those of Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani) and Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris), forcing them to work together to save the universe.

Sometimes I dread when anything Captain Marvel related comes out because there are so many incels on the internet with hate boners for Brie Larson. Especially now, with this film's divisive rating and near zero promotion due to the SAG-AFTRA strike. Tiny dicks are hard at the prospect of this being a huge bomb that is somehow all Brie's fault.

The Marvels is a good time. Sure, it's not as tight as most Infinity Saga offerings, but it sits solidly behind Wakanda Forever in terms of Phase 4. It's goofy in a way I'd expect a Guardian's movie to be, and that works for a film that takes place almost entirely in space. 

I wasn't a fan of the Ms Marvel TV show, but they brought its best elements to the big screen, and that's Kamala's report with her family. I'm never going to be into the Young Avengers type stories, and that's okay. Those are for a different audience. Though because of that, it made me wish there was less of her and more of Carol and Monica. Kamala is fun and got some great laughs, but I loved Monica in Wandavision and I just wanted more of that.

I saw a lot of parallels between Carol and Wanda here. (Yes, of course I'm bringing my fav to the table) Carol also made huge mistakes, and Monica again is understanding of the bigger picture and her choice in trying to rectify them. It made me want to see them together on the big screen. Hopefully I get that.

There's two big teases in this film. One at the end, and the other in the mid credits. I couldn't care less about the one at the end of the film....but the mid credits scene? I am hyped.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. These whiny fanboys with sand in their vaginas are a bunch of dumbasses with tiny dicks. Yes, this film wasn't perfect but I had fun watching it. I laughed a bunch of times during the screening as I loved the stuff with the Khan family, Goose, and that scene where Carol is a princess.

    Still, there is something we need to talk about. What is going on with Carol and Valkyrie?

    ***SPOILER WARNING***

    So I guess that the version of Captain Marvel that Maria Rambeau played that Wanda killed was the crappy version? So I guess they had it coming. It's true, Peggy Carter wouldn't have said "I could do this all day" and then be cut in half or Reed Richards refer himself as "the smartest man in the world". So they were the crappy self-righteous version that Wanda killed? Oh shit... I guess Susan Storm and her kids in that universe are going to find Wanda once she recovers from what happened to her only to be killed by her kids. Anyways, I think I like this new version of Maria Rambeau as Binary. Makes an interesting dynamic so we could probably see a version of Pietro Maximoff as Quicksilver. A Maximoff family reunion.... sort of...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of Captain Marvel and I've really been Marvel-ed out so I've skipped the series as well. Maybe I'll check it out sometime next year but glad this was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series Ms. Marvel is okay to skip IMO, this movie is good enough.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum