Review: Napoleon


Official synopsis:
An epic that details the checkered rise and fall of French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte (Joaquin Phoenix) and his relentless journey to power through the prism of his addictive, volatile relationship with his wife, Josephine. (Vanessa Kirby)

I hadn't been paying too much attention to Napoleon, both the trailer or the reviews. It wasn't until a friend told me that some of the reviews were calling it "funny" did it pique my interest. I had to get to the bottom of that.

I get it. Phoenix is playing Bonaparte like a weirdo simp. And he's the only one acting in that way. He doesn't even attempt an accent from the same continent his character lives on. He's just bizarre to watch, and that makes the film fun.

Instead of being a straight up Wikipedia entry, Ridley Scott attempts to frame it through his volatile relationship with Josephine. I'm guessing a lot of Kirby's scenes ended up on the cutting room floor because their relationship felt very disjointed and was not at all believable towards the end. I think he cut out the part where Josephine started caring. That footage is probably somewhere with her kids since they disappeared after their first scene.

There's some nice shots, a few truly brutal moments and of course Phoenix doing *gestures wildly* whatever this is, but it's not a film that blew me away. This feels like a Saturday afternoon at home type of film.

Grade: C

Comments

  1. yeah, the lack of a french accent struck me too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was giving Tom Cruise in Valkyrie! Like, at least do a British one. You're closer there.

      Delete
  2. I do want to see this in the theaters but I'm more interested in seeing the 4-hour cut of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that's what's going on Apple. I would probably watch that too honestly, even if I didn't love this.

      Delete
  3. I'm waiting until this is on AppleTV next year, but it's been amusing reading all the interviews w/ grumpy Ridley Scott, ahah. I too am curious to see this when all the reviews are saying it's a comedy. I'll watch it w/ tempered expectations though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize this was going to be an Apple TV release until the logo popped up in theaters. That's definitely the best place for it.

      Delete
  4. I really want to see this film but I’m worried about Phoenix playing him like a freak. I like historical dramas so I’m hoping I like it better than you. Now I have to look back at your posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a weird performance but it made me laugh so I can't argue with it really.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum