2023 Blind Spot Series: Lady Snowblood

 


What I knew going in: This film inspired Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill

Immediately into starting this, I was embarassed at how little I knew of this film and just how much Tarantino pulled from it for my favorite movie of his. The scenes on the snow, the music, it's all from here. I'm sure in the back of my mind I knew some of this before. But it's the first time I thought of it.

I was a little afraid to start watching this because I knew there was going to be a sexual assault scene in it and I'm not mentally in a space for that right now, but thankfully it's not shown. It's still very disturbing and I could've done without it, but everything else that came after was worth it.

I will always love a film about a woman getting revenge on terrible people. (I'd say just men, but we've got a shitty woman thrown in there too) The violence was very stylized. The blood is candy red and the spurts are dramatic. 

Meiko Kaji is beautiful and was perfectly cast as Yuki AKA Lady Snowblood. I loved watching her. The cinematography is a huge standout. It felt very stagey at times, but the DP saves it.

This wasn't my original plan for my November Blind Spot, but the two other movies that were originally on my list are no longer on streaming. I can't complain about this being a back up though. It's going to end up as one of the higher rated films on my list.

Grade: A

Comments

  1. I'm glad you loved this film as I have the 2-disc set from Criterion on DVD (which I need to upgrade to Blu-Ray) as it is worth watching. My mother loves that snow fight in Kill Bill as she usually doesn't like violent films but does love that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow fight seen is gorgeous. I wasn't expecting the same music to be playing at the beginning of the film!

      Delete
  2. I've heard of this but haven't seen it. I did not like Kill Bill so knowing this was the inspiration for it doesn't draw me to it. I'll put it down as one of those....someday films that I should probably see but am in no big hurry to get around to.

    Hope that your rescheduling doesn't mean you aren't going to be able to watch Notorious! I was looking forward to reading your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like my local library has it so I should be in luck!

      Delete
  3. I have not even heard of it so I’d be interested in seeing this…one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum