DVD Review: A.C.O.D

Adult children of divorce.

Carter (Adam Scott) has been caught up between his parent's (Richard Jenkins and Catherine O'Hara) rough relationship and subsequent divorce all his life. He finally found a middle ground as an adult. When his little brother's engagement happens, Carter has to find a way for them to be civil in the same room, he then learns he was actually a part of a study of the effects divorce has on children by Dr. Judith (Jane Lynch) and that really makes everything worse.

The premise of this was interesting. Technically, I'm an A.C.O.D. I joke about my parent's divorce being (and at times, still) a gigantic pain in the ass, but they are happy and it's all in good fun. I expected this film to feel a little similar, but how does a film with Scott, Jenkins, Lynch, and Amy Poehler end up so drastically unfunny?

'Average' is how I would describe this film. There's nothing special about it. The talent of its cast is wasted, the ending is beyond stupid and unnecessary, there were no laughs. At all. I didn't completely hate it while I was watching it, I just wanted it to be something more, and it never was.

Recommended: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "You must be Rick." - Michelle (Jessica Alba)

8 comments:

  1. This pretty much sums up all my suspicions, Brittani. I just saw the preview the other day... and, despite the cast, the whole thing looked like it was aiming for ' not shitty' at best.

    Oh well. I'd probably watch Jenkins in just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Aiming for 'not shitty' at best." - Yep. That. Exactly that.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, I always passed by this title when I'm browsing Netflix but good thing I haven't rented it yet. Looks funny from the trailer but I had a hunch the actual movie wouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is definitely nothing special, unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. Great review. I agree with what you said, about wanting it to be something more. I like the cast, but this doesn't work in any of their favors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely see that because I like so many people in the cast but yeah I'm not hoping for anything awesome, haven't seen one glowing review for that one.

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this sentence you should probably leave a comment.