Indie Gems: Short Term 12

FINALLY!

If you follow me on Twitter, you've probably seen me complaining about this film since January. I bumped it to the top of my queue a few days before it was scheduled to be released, and patiently waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. Never once did it occur to me that some asshole was probably just hoarding the blu ray and the regular DVD version might be available, so I switched the format, and it came right away. Awesome. I'm an idiot. 

At least it was worth the wait.

Grace (Brie Larson) is a supervisor in a youth home. When we meet her, it's obvious she's having some issues. She's somewhat distant to her long term boyfriend and co-worker, Mason (John Gallangher Jr.) and we meet her at a very difficult time in her life. Then they receive a new resident, Jayden (Kaitlyn Denver) who reminds Grace so much of herself that she digs up past demons, and she's forced to, for once in a long time, to really access this situation she's gotten in.

What interested me about Short Term 12 right away was the fact that I work in a very similar facility to the one in the film. (Although by comparison, mine's a little stricter.) I was immediately impressed by how many things they simply got right. The ridiculous insults the kids hurled at the staff when they were put in a hold, the "levels," the running, even that little bracelet that Grace makes Jayden, all of that so was right. Everything felt so authentic. Especially Brie Larson's wonderful performance. It's a shame this film was so little, I think she could've been a serious Oscar contender otherwise. 

I was literally scared for Grace when she started to take her job *too* seriously. That's kind of what they teach you when you work with at risk teens. You're there to guide them, you're not their parent, and don't take things too personally. This film really is the definition of an 'Indie Gem.' I hope you all get the chance to check it out.

Grade: A+

Memorable Quote: "This is what I signed up for." - Mason (John Gallagher Jr.)

Comments

  1. A+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    YES, this movie was incredible! Dever is just remarkable here. She was my best in show and completely destroyed me with her rendering of the shark and the octopus story. Like...DESTROYED ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing lots of reviews of this so I'm more intrigued now than I initially was. I was impressed by Brie Larson in Don Jon despite only having a single speaking line, ahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so fantastic in this! Her one line in Don Jon was golden though. I was actually afraid she was going to go through the entire film without saying anything.

      Delete
  3. Finally, you saw the film. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Truly one of the best films of 2013. Brie got robbed of an Oscar nod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did. Robbed of a Globe nod too. Really robbed of everything, not enough people saw this.

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing just how awesome this movie is, I'm really gonna try to see it soon. I've been watching such crappy films lately my brain may be dead soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to check this out. It's so good. I think I'd love it even if I didn't work in the same industry.

      Delete
  5. Girl, you certainly have been waiting forever for this one! Glad you finally got to check it out. Absolutely authentic in every respect--you're so right! I've been so pro-Keith Stanfield after seeing this...he was the standout for me, as you saw from my post dedicated to him in this film :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He was so great. I'm going out to purchase this blu ray eventually. It needs to be in my collection.

      Delete
  6. Glad you loved it! It's a shame it was too small for the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. If someone with a higher profile had been cast, I bet it would've gotten more attention. Which is a shame for Brie because she was wonderful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum