Review: Wild Mountain Thyme


Rosemary (Emily Blunt) grows up on a farm in Ireland falling in love with her aloof next door neighbor, Anthony. (Jamie Dornan) When Anthony's father, Tony (Christopher Walken) threatens to sell their farm to his American nephew Adam (Jon Hamm) Rosemary realizes she's on borrowed time getting Anthony to love her.

My watching this is entirely Film Twitter's fault. Many of my mutuals watched it, and every single one of them expressed exasperation with this film's ending. What could possibly be so ridiculous that everyone was commenting on it? I won't spoil it for you, but the hyperbole is true. This film's third act is completely batshit...and it brings a smile to my face.

This movie is bad. This is what foreigners think Ireland is like before traveling there themselves. It's got everything, stew, Guinness, extremely bright greens. None of the dialogue feels natural and some of the Irish accents, mainly Walken's are beyond tragic. But the film's biggest flaw is I cannot for the life of me understand what Rosemary sees in Anthony.

Every one of their interactions is strange. Rosemary is beautiful and she's over here begging for Anthony's dick when it's so clear she could do better. I'm mostly perplexed on how so many talented people ended up making this movie. It had to be the free trip to Ireland.

This film is worth seeing for the 3rd act alone, but don't expect anything interesting before that. Just trust that you will at least laugh at it.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: D

Memorable Quote: "I gave up the smokes." - Rosemary (Emily Blunt)

Comments

  1. This was such a frustrating movie. I kept beating my head trying to figure out why on earth Blunt's character would wait around soooo long for such a dull dunderhead like Anthony!!!! It drove me nuts. I did get a kick out of Walken's come-and-go Irish accent..LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! He had nothing to offer and that reveal..LOL

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I heard this was a really bad film and Jamie Dornan spent much of that film sulking. Thank God for Barb and Star at Vista del Mar because I think there was a part of him that was waiting to come out and man, he delivered and then some.

    Seriously, go watch that film. It is BEYOND FUCKED UP in an insanely good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that he's good in that, which shocks me because he's always been so wooden lol. Maybe one day I'll check it out.

      Delete
  3. Well, I almost wonder if the ending is like so many 70s movies which left me so frustrated and pissed off. I would watch these movies when I was a kid, invest my time hoping the ending would be great only to be left hanging. I’m trying to remember some but can’t. I love Walken but can’t picture him even trying an Irish accent. Unfortunately, I have seen many women, some friends, invest a lot of time in dopes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! That ending will stick with me as much as the twist in Serenity. I almost love that it's almost entirely unexplained psychologically or emotionally with the characters. It just kinda happens and you have to accept it at face-value. Blunt was lovely though, even if she struggled with her accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. You really have no choice but to accept and move on because of course Rosemary does right away. I never saw Serenity, Maybe I need to check that out too.

      Delete
  5. I want to apologise for contributing to the chatter that led you to watching this but...you were warned! Haha! Oh, what a movie...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum