Thursday Movie Picks - Oscar Edition: Best Cinematography and Visual Effects
It's the first TMP of the month and you know what that means - It's Oscar edition! This week we're talking about two categories. Cinematography and Visual Effects. Honestly, has there been an Oscar category I've bitched about more on this blog than Visual Effects? Nothing I ever want to win does. I'm constantly mad about it, but I'll do my best to find 3 winners that I actually like. Cinematography is easier, I normally love that category. My biggest hurdle was the fact that I picked some of the movies I would've talked about here already. Here's what I came up with. The first three for Cinematography, the last three for visual effects.
1) Pan's Labyrinth - I love that this movie was nominated for so many Oscars, but I especially love that it won this. It was so beautiful and frightening.
2) There Will Be Blood - I recently re-watched this again and I can't help but admire just how expertly this was shot.
3) American Beauty - I still love this movie, I can't help it....those rose petals!
4) Ex Machina - I love that this was a smaller indie film and took home the VFX Oscar, one that a film with a hefty budget nearly always wins.
5) Inception - I know it's easy to clown on Nolan lately, but I think Inception is a masterpiece. I liked the use of practical effects along with digital.
6) Jurassic Park - The visual effects on this film still holds up. I don't think there's any other 90's film that can truly say that.