Review: Orphan: First Kill


A sequel to 2009's Orphan, we get the origin story of a dwarf woman (Isabelle Fuhrman) turned child pretender Esther before she landed with the family we knew. Here, she escapes from an asylum and poses as the missing daughter of a wealthy New England family. Murders ensue. 

You have to admire the filmmaker's audacity in using the same actress THIRTEEN YEARS after she played a 12 year old. Gone are her chubby cheeks from the original, and in is a mature face that the filmmakers just ask us to pretend is 10. Sure, why not. It's a Paramount Plus release after all.

I was a fan of the original, and honestly I'm a big fan of this one too. Without going into spoiler territory, this film has a twist that is completely bonkers and made the film so much more fun to watch. It also helped me come to terms with Isabelle's casting. It makes sense. I know that sounds weird, but watch it and you will see.

So is this for you? If you're a fan of the original and have access to Paramount Plus (or like me, just grabbed a 7 day free trial through Prime) then you should definitely give this a watch. Fuhrman is good, there's bloody kills, and it's shot quite beautifully. There's plenty to admire about a film I'm fairly sure no one asked for.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I only saw bits of the original film so I'm not sure if I want to see this. Plus, I'm not really sure if I want to subscribe to Paramount+ as it means it also involves... ugh... MTV. BLECH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been floating the idea of Paramount+ for a month just for the Star Trek content and "The Offer" There's literally nothing else worth watching on there.

      Delete
  2. I saw that this was coming and I'm not sure how to react to it. Maybe someday, but it's not going to be close to the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't already had Paramount+ or access to a free trial, I wouldn't rush to see it, but know it will be a good watch when you get there!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum