Yesterday the Academy revealed it's short list for the best visual effects Oscar. They are:
1) Alice in Wonderland
2) The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3) Clash of the Titans
4) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I
7) Iron Man 2
8) The Last Airbender
9) Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Theif
10) Prince of Persia
11) Scott Pilgram vs The World
12) Shutter Island
13) The Sorcerer's Apprentice
14) Tron: Legacy
These are the five I predict will make the final cut.
2) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I
3) Alice in Wonderland
4) Iron Man 2
5) Shutter Island.
Granted Tron: Legacy could replace Alice if the movie does well next weekend. Inception ans Harry Potter are sure fire bets in my opinion. The critics loved Shutter Island (and deservingly so) and movies like Iron Man seem to thrive in the visual and sound categories.
I doubt the highly panned Airbender will get in, or the lackluster Percy Jackson and Sorcerer's Apprentice. Hereafter and Unstoppable seem like long shots as well. Scott Pilgram also seems a little too abstract for the Academy.
What do you think?