DVD Review: Goodbye Christopher Robin

Oh bother.

Author Alan Milne (Domhnall Gleeson) is scared after WWI and moves his reluctant wife, Daphne (Margot Robbie) and their young son Christopher Robin (who goes by Moon) out into the country side. Normally he and Daphne are fucking off and being absentee parents while Nanny Olive (Kelly Macdonald) takes care of their son, but for a short time Alan has to actually be a dad, and during the time spent with his son he comes up with the idea to what will be his wildly successful Winnie The Pooh series. 

Man, poor Moon. His parents truly weren't ready to commit. And when they do they exploit him for book sales. I never knew the story of how Winnie The Pooh came to be. At first I expected to never look at Pooh the same again, but this film isn't very memorable so I no longer have to worry about that.

The cast are great, and the film looks beautiful. From the costumes to the sets and locations, it really was a lovely little spot in the country side they created. But there wasn't a lot of substance here. It's not bad by any stretch. They tug at your heartstrings a bit with the Nanny but it's really just an interesting tale that doesn't stay with you for long. 

Recommend: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote.

Comments

  1. I knew about the story and that his parents were not that great. I would still like to see this film, if I get the chance. I think this is the first time you had no memorable quote..ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops. Lol. I thought I had one in there...now I'm too lazy to edit it.

      Delete
  2. This looks depressing as hell....also Margot ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! This has been on my to-watch list forever, mostly for Domhnall Gleeson. I'll watch anything with him, but unfortunately, didn't expect a whole lot from it except nice visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the new Christopher Robin in theatres, and I feel like having seen this one will inevitably taint the newer one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the new one either, the reviews turned me off. lol

      Delete
  5. I similarly thought this was decent. Not nearly as good as the new one, though it did play a role in altering my expectations for that one. I went into it thinking that it was supposed to be a fantastical continuation of the real life Christopher Robin's story as an adult, so almost like a sequel to this movie. Stupid me, it's ACTUALLY a sequel to the fictional Winnie the Pooh stories themselves. Doh. XP

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum