Review: El Camino

Yeah bitch, escape!

Following being set free from his captors, Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) looks to leave Albuquerque and start a new life, but nearly every obstacle possible gets in his way. 

I've you've been reading here, you know how much I love Breaking Bad. I think it's one of the best - if not THE best show on television and the ending was perfect and fulfilling. But Vince Gilligan always has surprises for us. I didn't think I needed more backstop on Saul Goodman, but Better Call Saul has been a great show. Now he offers us a chance to see what happens to Jesse after he and Walt part ways. In my head, I gave Jesse a happy ending. Now we get to see if he actually gets one. 

I loved El Camino. It works perfectly as an extended epilogue to Breaking Bad. I had almost expected them not to revisit anyone else from the series, but they incorporate familiar faces seamlessly. Nothing about it is cringy or forced.

Aaron Paul is still fantastic as ever, and Jesse Plemmons wonderfully returns as Todd for flashbacks and a stark reminder of just how messed up his character was. The film doesn't sugarcoat Jesse's PTSD from being imprisoned. We see how every little thing weighs on him, and it makes us root for him more.

If I had to critique anything, my main gripe is Andrea. I've always felt like the show chose to focus more on Jane because a well known actress played her, but Andrea also made a huge impression on Jesse, and I would've liked a better flashback of the two of them together.

If you're a fan of Breaking Bad, you obviously need to see this. Hopefully you have already by the time I post this.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "You were standing on stage when they handed it to me, dick." - Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul)

Comments

  1. i love breaking bad, but i just thought this movie was...fine? i could have not seen it and been okay. paul is good as always, but it just seemed unnecessary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it wasn't really necessary, but the quality of it surprised me. It shouldn't have, because Gilligan, but I had low expectations and it just surpassed it.

      Delete
  2. I'm terrible. I haven't seen enough episodes of BB to have any idea what may be going on here. My lack of television knowledge is embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't seen Breaking Bad at all yet I keep hearing that it's a great fucking show. To me, the greatest TV show ever made is The Sopranos. And reading from your Twitter scroll, I'm so fucking on board with Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. In fact, she did play Catwoman in The Lego Batman Movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess!!

      Breaking Bad is amazing, you should definitely watch it. I'd like to watch The Sopranos one day, but I know how it ends and I can't imagine how that would be satisfying.

      Delete
  4. So glad you loved it, I was hoping you would! I really appreciated the movie. It was fantastic to see Aaron as Jesse again and boy I hope his career finally picks up, he had bad luck after the show ended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always meant to watch that Hulu show he had because that looked interesting, but I agree. I hope it picks up.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you got to let loose at least one yeah bitch. Isn't that the whole point?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum