Review: Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

Pray to the elves. 

Lars (Will Ferrell) and Sigrit (Rachel McAdams) have grown up together in a small town in Iceland with only one dream; to compete in the Eurovision song contest. When they end up being the only eligible act to represent their country, they finally get to live that dream, with consequences of course.

I knew nothing about Eurovision until 2016-2017, somewhere in there. I've never been a huge fan of American singing shows but Eurovision I enjoyed as soon as I started researching it, and I've followed along ever since. So I'm thankful for this movie maybe introducing a few more Americans to the spectacle that is Eurovision.

Of course, this movie isn't great by any means but for something that's streaming on Netflix, it's perfectly watchable. I laughed quite a few times and the songs are catchy as hell. 

Rachel McAdams is a treasure. She's not actually singing in this, but damn does she commit. She could've easily phoned it in but she gives it her all. Ferrell is Ferrell. We're expected to believe that he and McAdams are the same age, which is a massive joke in itself. I like him a lot, but I'm growing tired of his manchild schtick, though it's not in full force here as it usually is. He does get to do his own singing, which he's always been good at. Dan Stevens plays a Russian singer (who is also lip syncing) who is somewhat of a foil for Lars, and he's fun to watch. 

To be honest, I really hope some of these original songs end up as Oscar contenders. This won't be winning awards anywhere else.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "You're being really uncool." - Sigrit (Rachel McAdams)

Comments

  1. Mum and Geoff loved this movie 💜💛❤️💙

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen some parts of the films and yes, Rachel McAdams is hilarious. I really think she should have the chance to do more comedies but also some drama as she is just a natural. I did watch the scene where she's at the home of those elves and that made laugh hard. I haven't finished the film but I definitely want to see as I have enjoyed seeing Dan Stevens as he's also funny.

    Yeah, I too am tired of Will Ferrell's manchild schtick but he tones it down at least in this film... so far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the elves parts! Ferrell is pretty toned down for the most part, it's worth the watch.

      Delete
    2. Now having seen the whole thing... I want "JaJa Ding Dong" nominated for Best Original Song and Rachel McAdams for Best Actress.

      Delete
  3. The elves thing was just so adorable lol and Graham Norton's scenes were so funny but Ferrell still sux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham Norton was such a dick during his commentary. I loved it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum