Review: The Northman


When Viking Amleth (Alexander Skarsgard) was a child, he fled his kingdom after his father, King Aurvandil (Ethan Hawke) was betrayed and murdered by his brother, Fjolnir. (Claes Bang) He swore to take revenge. Many years later, he disguises himself as a slave to infiltrate Fjolnir's home to go through with this plan. He's helped by another captive, Olga. (Anya Taylor-Joy) 

Robert Eggers is easily one of the most interesting filmmakers working today, so this has been at the top of my "must see" list. I'm happy to say it met all my expectations.

This film it very harsh. It's violent, the elements look unforgiving, our protagonist is treated very realistically. It would be easy to make Amleth a noble and just character, but he's still a Viking Beserker and sacks the towns he rides through. For me personally, I'm glad Eggers didn't include any gratuitous rape scenes. We know that happened, and it is certainly acknowledged, but we never see any on screen and as someone who struggles with watching that, I'm really glad he chose not to show it in full. 

Skarsgard is a beast. This is definitely his most physical role. Nicole Kidman, who plays Amleth's mother is another standout. Her character is a lot more meaty than you expect her to be. I just found her and Skarsgard playing mother and sont awkward. They were a married couple a few short years ago in Big Little Lies. I hate to say they should've cast someone else, because Kidman was great, but it's very jarring. Especially when Anya Taylor-Joy is playing Skarsgard's love interest when she's a whopping 20 years younger than him. It stuck out.

Of course this wouldn't be an Eggers film if it wasn't a bit out there. And it is. Unless you're well versed in Viking mythology, you're bound to be wtf'ing your way through parts of it. 

So is this for you? If you like weird, epic, and gorgeous technical aspects, head to the theaters now. 

Grade: A-

Comments

  1. I'm with you. It's a little indulgent in spots, but that gruesome craziness is a big part of what makes it so alluring. I can't wait to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm so bummed it didn't do better at the box office. It deserved too.

      Delete
  2. I fucking love this film. It was so fucking awesome as I just loved the physicality of it and its unflinching approach to violence. Alexander Skarsgard and Anya Taylor-Joy totally killed it. So did the rest of the cast and reading from your Twitter scroll. I too went "eww" during that moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It was so bizarre. I expected her to have something to do with it, but I didn't expect her to suggest...that.

      Delete
  3. Awesome movie and lovely review absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby and I want to see this in the theatre and hope to. We know about Viking mythology and their brutish ways. I'm so glad there is no rape scenes. I think there are too many of those anyway and it's gratuitous for the most part which makes it even more icky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are FAR too many of them so I'm glad we were spared here. if you know a lot about the mythology, I think you'll really like this!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum