2023 Academy Award Winners

Movie's biggest night is upon us! Jimmy Kimmel hosted and did a decent job despite wasting our time with some segments. They showed all 24 nominees on TV which was a plus after that mess last year. They also had all 5 Best Song performances (more on that below) The In Memoriam ended with a QR code to scan to see more dead people, which was tacky as fuck. Also, Charlbi Dean didn't make the televised memoriam, despite being the lead actress in Triangle of Sadness, which was yet another choice. 

I went 16/24 with my picks! Below is a list of winners + my thoughts. 

Best Picture
All Quiet on the Western Front
Avatar: The Way of Water
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Fabelmans
TÁR
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking
They did it! For a while people on Film Twitter were worried about an All Quiet upset. While it's not my favorite film of the nominees, it's a very cool win and I'm so happy for it. 

Best Director
Martin McDonagh – The Banshees of Inisherin
Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Todd Field – TÁR
Steven Spielberg – The Fabelmans
Ruben Ostlund – Triangle of Sadness
The Daniels did it! They are both so weird, I kind of love them up there.

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett – TÁR
Ana de Armas – Blonde
Andrea Riseborough – To Leslie 
Michelle Williams – The Fabelmans
Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All At Once
I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

Best Actor
Austin Butler – Elvis
Colin Farrell – The Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser – The Whale
Paul Mescal – Aftersun
Bill Nighy – Living
I love Brendan Fraser but I am forever gutted for Colin Farrell. He was in tears during his speech and shouted out Hong Chau, which was very sweet. 

​Best Supporting Actress
​​​​Angela Bassett – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Hong Chau – The Whale
Kerry Condon – The Banshees of Inisherin
Jamie Lee Curtis – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Stephanie Hsu – Everything Everywhere All At Once
WOW. I knew it was a possibility but I'm still surprised. I'm forever bummed Angela Bassett didn't win. Curtis' speech was phenomenal though. I can't even be mad. It was so sweet. And I won an Oscar with her and so did YOU! 

Best Supporting Actor
Brendan Gleeson – The Banshees of Inisherin
Brian Tyree Henry – Causeway
Judd Hirsch – The Fabelmans
Barry Keoghan – The Banshees of Inisherin
Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All At Once
The one acting lock! Ke gives great speeches and Ariana was in tears when he won.

Best Original Screenplay
The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Fabelmans
TÁR
Triangle of Sadness
As much as I love EEAAO, I stand by the fact that Banshees is better. The Daniels gave great speeches though, so it's hard to stay mad. 

Best Adapted Screenplay
All Quiet on the Western Front
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Living
Top Gun: Maverick
Women Talking
I'm so happy Sarah Polley won this and her speech was fire. 

Best Animated Feature
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
The Sea Beast
Turning Red
Expected, and still boring. You're the winner in my heart, Marcel!

Best Documentary Feature
All That Breathes
All the Beauty And the Bloodshed
Fire of Love
A House Made Of Splinters
​​​Navalny
Fire of Love was my favorite and I'm sad it didn't win, but Navalny was an excellent film. Can't fault its win. Having Navalny's wife and kids there and knowing they don't have their dad with them right now was very emotional. 

Best International Feature
All Quiet on the Western Front
Argentina, 1985
Close
EO
The Quiet Girl
Another easy pick, but very much a deserved one.

Best Cinematography
​All Quiet on the Western Front
Bardo
Elvis
Empire of Light
TÁR
How fitting the beautiful Michael B. Jordan and Jonathan Majors presented this. 

Best Costume Design
Babylon
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris
YES! I thought Elvis would win this and I'm so happy it lost!! Get it Ruth Carter!

Best Film Editing
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All At Once
TÁR
Top Gun: Maverick
I watched this film for the second time the other day, and....yeah, they deserve this one. I'll get off my Banshee wagon for that.

Best Makeup & Hairstyling
​​​​​All Quiet on the Western Front
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Elvis
The Whale
Damn it, I shouldn't have let those Elvis precursers sway me! I still wish The Batman could've won this. 

Best Production Design
All Quiet on the Western Front
Avatar: The Way of Water
Babylon
Elvis
The Fabelmans
This would've been my second choice, but very bummed for the much better looking Bablyon.

Best Sound
All Quiet on the Western Front
Avatar: The Way of Water
The Batman
Elvis
Top Gun: Maverick
I guessed All Quiet, but I should've known the Americas would go for Top Gun. This is a great win though. I'm happy for them. 

Best Visual Effects
All Quiet on the Western Front
Avatar: The Way of the Water
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Top Gun: Maverick
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Best Original Score
All Quiet on the Western Front
Babylon
The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Fabelmans
It is absolutely insane that Babylon didn't win this.

Best Original Song
Tell it Like a Woman – “Applause”
Top Gun: Maverick – “Hold My Hand”
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – “Lift Me Up”
RRR – “Naatu Naatu”
Everything Everywhere All At Once – “This Is A Life”
Naatu Naatu is so infectious. The composer sang during his speech too so that was fun. Since we're talking about best original song...those performances. Applause was awful, Hold My Hand was so awkwardly shot, This is a Life was awkwardly performed, Naatu Naatu was fun, but Lift Me Up was beautiful.

Best Animated Short
The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse
The Flying Sailor
Ice Merchants
My Year of Dicks
An Ostrich Told Me the World is Fake and I Think I Believe It
This is hands down the worst short in this category.

Best Documentary Short
The Elephant Whisperers
Haulout
How Do You Measure a Year?
The Martha Mitchell Effect
Stranger at the Gate
I wanted Haulout to win, but I'm just happy Stranger at the Gate lost. 

Best Live-Action Short
An Irish Goodbye
Ivalu
Le Pupille
Night Ride
The Red Suitcase
A worthy win! 

Comments

  1. Travolta fucks up again! Stop having him at the Oscars!

    I'm happy EEAAO won though earlier today, I watched Women Talking and honestly, I thought was the better film. I was fucking happy for Sarah Polley winning an Oscar while I was also happy for Brendan Fraser as my dad loved that guy and would've been fucking ecstatic for him. Michelle, Ke, and Jamie were deserving as I loved Jamie's speech as that was just moving as I just remembered that her parents never won Oscars. Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh are probably up there in cinema heaven just having a ball and telling others "that's our girl! She did it!"

    Let's see... Short Round/Data. 1 Oscar. Link/Rick from The Mummy. 1 Oscar. Diane Warren. 0. Let's keep it that way because that song FUCKING SUCKED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt bad for Travolta. Clearly he was not in the headspace to be doing the In Memoriam.
      That Diane Warren song was awful! I'm not familiar with the singer either but I felt bad for her up there with no one reacting to that performance.

      I wish Angela would've won. I like Jamie and even though I think Stephanie was better than her in that movie, Angela was my favorite. I really loved that category as a whole though. All were great.

      I'm happy for EEAAO as well even if it wasn't my favorite movie of the bunch. It's a fun win and I'm glad movies like that get nominated. I'm just sad over Banshees getting nothing.

      Delete
  2. While I didn't participate in this Oscars nearly as much as previous ceremonies, where I would spend weeks running to try and see as many of the nominated films and performances as possible, I was pleased to see some actual tension in several categories with the winners not a foregone conclusion and a surprise or two.

    I too am disappointed for Colin but now that the seal has been broken as it were and he's received his first nomination I can only hope he'll be back and in the winner's circle some day. Still I'm glad for Brendan Fraser.

    Loved Jamie Lee Curtis's reaction when she won. It reminded me of both William Hurt and Adrien Brody's wins. Neither was expected to take the prize and their shock was such a genuine pleasure. Brody's sweeping Halle Berry into a kiss is of course infamous but Bill Hurt's while less grand (and preceded by presenter Sally Field's amusing hat tip to her notorious "You like me!" speech when she won the year before-by saying "Now we're going to see who you like...who you really, really like") was elegant, heartfelt and brief.

    The In Memoriam was its usual disaster! They'll never learn. The segment should never have a live performer singing under the tribute. It draws focus from the people supposedly being saluted and this time was even worse since they had a few breaks where it was just Kravitz playing without any panels showing people who had passed. Lord knows they missed enough of them!! And the logic of who was chosen is beyond me. No disrespect to Irene Cara but she made one film of real note whose theme song granted her a bit of immortality, that's super and she belonged there but why is she there while Stella Stevens (50 years in film) and Robert Blake (almost 60!) were omitted?! And that only two-Sally Kellerman, Fred Ward and on and on were relegated to a QR code...if they were even there. Disgraceful! When will they learn from TCM who always gets it right with a dignified, inclusive tribute that focuses solely on those being remembered. GRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie's reaction (and Stephanie's) were hilarious but I wanted Anglea Bassett to win so badly. I don't mind a live singer under the Memoriam, but they need to do a better job of including everyone. Even if they have to share slides. Leaving out Charbli Dean, the star of one of their current Best Picture nominees who died tragically young was ridiculous. She should've started the montage. The QR code was in such poor taste.

      Delete
    2. Hey Joel...I so agree with you about in the In Memorium part. I could care leas about Lenny Kravitz playing g, qith sunglasses on( so stupid) putting up Irene Cara but missing Stella, Robert Nlake( one of the last of the Little Rascals), Marsha Hunt, Nehemiah Persoff plus so many more...it was one of the worst.

      Delete
    3. Lenny Kravitz is hot! Blasphemy! lol

      Delete
  3. I'm surprisingly okay with most of the winners, or at least those I've seen. Every Oscars has the winners I'll disagree with, but it's hard not to like a lot of the winners. I think I'd have been okay with Banshees winning a bunch; it and EEAAO were my favorites in those categories.

    I'm going to really have to process the fact that, as a del Toro apologist, I think he shouldn't have won. Marcel is without question my favorite movie nominated for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got 19! I'm shocked I did that well. Angela Bassett was not happy that she lost. Actually neither was Michelle Williams who gave a half-hearted vlap. Poor John T screwed up but he was very emotional. He lost both Olivia and Kirstie. That man has suffered losses in his life. I liked Jimmy Kimmel and he was safe but I was thinking what Ricky Getvais would have said. I'm glad most won and was not upset by any. Poor Del Toro can hardly walk...he needs to lose weight or he will die soon. He didn't look well to me. I love that Brendan Fraser won and Michelle Yeoh. Some of the outfits people wore makes me shake my head. That one click inthe silver shimmered drapes reminded me of a Star Trek episode where an evil being controlled the kids on a planet. It was a bad show but she took his outfit Melissa McCarthy looked like a big red fort. I love her but..no. so many were big not for me. Hahaaa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be mad if I was Angela Bassett too. She should've won lol. Kimmell was fine but he really didn't need to waste our time with those audience interview skits. Fa Bing Bing was the best dressed! I loved her outfit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum