Thursday Movie Picks - Companion Reads

This week's theme from Wandering Through the Shelves is not just about movies, but about books that could go along with them. No necessarily the books the film is based on, but just ones similar in tone. This one is tough, honestly! But I enjoy a challenge. Here's what I came up with.


1) Watch: The Girl with All The Gifts. Read: Station Eleven -
Both Station Eleven and TGWATG originated as novels, then got the TV treatment (TGWATG in movie form, while Station Eleven got an HBO mini series) They're both post-apolcalyptic stories around young women and fit well together.


2) Watch: A Silent Voice. Read: Blubber -
  The Silent Voice is a very heart-wrenching film about childhood bullying and forgiveness and Blubber is about a girl who stands by as bulling is happening. They're different in tone, but they continue the subject on how you should treat people and stand up when you see bad things like this happening. I think they work well together.


3) Watch: Smile. Read: Horns -
Horns is also one that has already gotten the movie treatment but I cannot stress how differently the book hits. They're both creepy horror tales where the main character is grappling with something not affecting others. Both solid mysteries. 

Comments

  1. I love The Girl with All the Gifts--it's one I recommend to people all the time. Smile...not so much. I wanted to like that a lot more than I ended up liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect much from Smile so I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. This was tough this week and I'm not sure I made the mark but..meh, close enough. I haven't heard of any of your choices or the books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! I still need to watch A Silent Voice and Smile. They both sound like awesome movies!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks

    The Surreal Movies and TV Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST MOVIE AND TV BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sitting out this month's lists but I like your picks even though I haven't seen any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t seen nor read any of these…but I have had Station Eleven in my to-read list for the longest time.
    By the way, remember to submit your link…since TMP is now fortnightly, the link submission is open for 2-3 weeks that is until the next TMP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I swore I did. I usually go back and check it the following morning because your post usually isn't up on Thursdays here.

      Delete
  6. I loved the Horns book - I'll make sure to check out Smile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum