2024 Independent Spirit Award Nominations.


We're kicking off 2024 awards season with the Spirit nominations! These ones are are a bit tough for me because I normally have not gotten to see the majority of these yet. If anything, I use the Spirit Awards to add films to my watchlist that I may have missed. Thankfully, I've seen a decent amount so here are my thoughts below. 

BEST FEATURE 
All of Us Strangers
American Fiction 
May December 
Passages
Past Lives 
We Grown Now
Of these I've only seen Past Lives and May December. American Fiction I'm seeing sometime this weekend. Right now, Past Lives is one of my favorite films of the year. 

BEST FIRST FEATURE 
All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt 
Chronicles of a Wandering Saint
Earth Mama  
A Thousand and One 
Upon Entry 
The only one I've seen here is A Thousand and One, and while I didn't love it, I'm floored it was the director's first feature. It's very well made. 

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
The Artifice Girl 
Fremont
Rotting in the Sun
The Unknown Country

BEST DIRECTOR
Andrew Haigh – All of Us Strangers
Todd Haynes – May December
William Oldroyd – Eileen
Ira Sachs – Passages
Celine Song – Past Lives

BEST SCREENPLAY
David Hemingson – The Holdovers
Cord Jefferson – American Fiction
Laura Moss & Brendan J. O’Brien – Birth/Rebirth
Emma Seligman & Rachel Sennott – Bottoms
Celine Song – Past Lives
Glad to see The Holdovers here too. I loved that film as well!

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
Samy Burch; Story by Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik – May December
Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon, Nick Lieberman & Ben Platt – Theater Camp
Tomás Gómez Bustillo – Chronicles of a Wandering Saint
Laurel Parmet – The Starling Girl
Alejandro Rojas & Juan Sebastián Vásquez – Upon Entry
I cannot believe Theater Camp is here. That screenplay was a MESS. I'm happy to see Parmet for The Starling Girl though. 

BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE
Jessica Chastain – Memory
Greta Lee – Past Lives
Trace Lysette – Monica
Natalie Portman – May December
Judy Reyes – Birth/Rebirth
Franz Rogowski – Passages
Andrew Scott – All of Us Strangers
Teyana Taylor – A Thousand and One
Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction
Teo Yoo – Past Lives
I really don't love the genderless categories because I want more winners. I wish they'd just add a 3rd nonbinary category instead. But from what I've seen, Portman is probably the strongest here. 

BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE
Erika Alexander – American Fiction
Sterling K. Brown – American Fiction
Noah Galvin – Theater Camp
Anne Hathaway – Eileen
Glenn Howerton – BlackBerry
Marin Ireland – Eileen
Charles Melton – May December
Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
Catalina Saavedra – Rotting in the Sun
Ben Whishaw – Passages
There are some awesome performances here. Melton, Howerton, Randolph. I'm not sure  I could choose between those three. 

BEST BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE
Marshawn Lynch – Bottoms
Atibon Nazaire – Mountains
Tia Nomore – Earth Mama
Dominic Sessa – The Holdovers
Anaita Wali Zada – Fremont
Marshawn Lynch being here is hilarious (as he was in Bottoms) but from what I've seen, Sessa is the winner.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Katelin Arizmendi – Monica
Eigil Bryld – The Holdovers
Jomo Fray – All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
Pablo Lozano – Chronicles of a Wandering Saint
Pat Scola – We Grown Now

BEST EDITING
Santiago Cendejas, Gabriel Díaz, Sofía Subercaseaux – Rotting in the Sun
Stephanie Filo – We Grown Now
Daniel Garber – How to Blow Up a Pipeline
Jon Philpot – Theater Camp
Emanuele Tiziani – Upon Entry
Theater Camp again perplexes me here, but I'm very happy to see How to Blow Up a Pipeline!

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD 
Showing Up


BEST DOCUMENTARY
Bye Bye Tiberias 
Four Daughters
Going to Mars
Kokomo City
The Mother of All Lies
I've only seen Four Daughters but that's one of the best, if not the best documentary I've seen this year. Right now it's my predicted Oscar winner. 

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM 
Anatomy of a Fall (France)
Godland (Denmark/Iceland) 
Mami Wata (Nigeria) 
Tótem (Mexico) 
The Zone of Interest (United Kingdom, Poland, USA)
I want to see all of these. Soon, I hope. 

PRODUCERS AWARD
Rachael Fung
Graham Swon
Monique Walton

SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD
Joanna Arnow
Laura Moss
Monica Sorelle 

TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD 
Set Hernandez 
Jesse Short Bull, Laura Tomaselli 
Sierra Urich 
Love Jesse Short Bull and Laura Tomaselli being nominated as directors of Lakota Nation vs United States, another great doc. 

BEST NEW NON-SCRIPTED OR DOCUMENTARY SERIES 
Deadlocked: How America Shaped the Supreme Court
Dear Mama
Murder in Big Horn
Stolen Youth: Inside the Cult at Sarah Lawrence
Wrestlers
The Sarah Lawrence doc was wild. 

BEST NEW SCRIPTED SERIES 
Beef
Dreaming Whilst Black
I’m a Virgo
Jury Duty
Slip
I keep forgetting about Jury Duty, I've heard that's good. The only one I'm familiar with is Beef, which I liked a lot. 


BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE IN A NEW SCRIPTED SERIES
Emma Corrin – A Murder at the End of the World
Dominique Fishback – Swarm
Betty Gilpin – Mrs. Davis
Jharrel Jerome – I’m a Virgo
Zoe Lister-Jones – Slip
Bel Powley – A Small Light
Bella Ramsey – The Last of Us
Ramón Rodríguez – Will Trent
Ali Wong – Beef
Steven Yeun – Beef
Got to go with my boy Steven Yeun. 

BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE IN A NEW SCRIPTED SERIES
Murray Bartlett – The Last of Us
Billie Eilish – Swarm
Jack Farthing – Rain Dogs
Nick Offerman – The Last of Us
Adina Porter – The Changeling
Lewis Pullman – Lessons in Chemistry
Benny Safdie – The Curse
Luke Tennie – Shrinking
Olivia Washington – I’m a Virgo
Jessica Williams – Shrinking
Good luck choosing between those Last of Us performances. I'm kind of surprised to see that here at all because I assumed it had a bigger budget that wouldn't qualify here. 

BEST BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE IN A NEW SCRIPTED SERIES
Clark Backo – The Changeling
Aria Mia Loberti – All the Light We Cannot See
Adjani Salmon – Dreaming Whilst Black
Keivonn Montreal Woodard – The Last of Us
Kara Young – I’m a Virgo
Woodard was so memorable in his episode!

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST IN A NEW SCRIPTED SERIES
Jury Duty

Comments

  1. With the exception of Showing Up while I have access to MUBI to watch Passages, I haven't seen any of these films/TV series nominated. Plus, I'm with you on these genderless categories as I don't like it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to re-up my Mubi subscription to watch Passages. I didn't realize it was on there!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum