Review: American Fiction


Official Synopsis:
 A novelist, Monk (Jeffrey Wright) who's fed up with the establishment profiting from "Black" entertainment uses a pen name to write a book that propels him to the heart of hypocrisy and the madness he claims to disdain.

Satire can be tricky, but thankfully writer/director Cord Jefferson has no issues bringing this perfectly biting commentary to screen. This is the most I've laughed in a film all year. Monk's right, even if no else seems to want to engage with this type of entertainment in the same way he does. Plenty of excellent writers have written about how tired they are of stories only centering around "black pain" and that's exactly what Monk is getting it. It also makes you consider your complacency in making certain media popular. At least it did for me.

The film splits its time between Monk's work and family life. His siblings, played by Sterling K. Brown and Tracey Ellis Ross are hilarious and I loved their scenes together. Despite the great actors, there were some elements of this side of Monk's life that just didn't mesh well for me. The film is so close to being perfect and I think had it focused less time on what's going on with his mother and more with his work, it would've gotten there for me.

Jeffrey Wright gives a brilliant performance and is easily my favorite thing he's done. He's been such a standout in supporting roles, I'm glad to see him in a leading role like this.

American Fiction is playing in a limited release now, and will expand on December 22nd. 

Grade: A

Comments

  1. I do hope to see this as I think it looks funny but also confrontational in its satire. It does seem like people are afraid to face themselves whenever they play into stereotypes. I mean I remember why Dave Chappelle ended his show because he was doing a sketch making fun of minstrels and some old white executives laughed at his own expense. That kind of made Chappelle snap and not do the show just as he was making a lot of money.

    I also remember how there was a lot of shit over MC Hammer doing all of these endorsements although the reality is that he did sell out and ended up becoming a token for these old white fucks. The moment you decide to do a KFC commercial and dance for a piece of nasty-ass popcorn chicken for the amusement of old white fucks. You've done sold out. Paul Mooney was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! I hope you get the chance to see it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum