Review: The Smell of Money


Official synopsis:
 What is the price some pay for the world's pork? North Carolina residents take on one of the world's most powerful companies in a fight for their rights to clean air, pure water, and a life free from the stench of pig feces.

I joke that I'm one of those people that likes to remain blissfully ignorant about the factories some of the food I eat comes from. I don't want to think about animal slaughter. But holy shit, I never considered what they do after.

This documentary follows a woman named Elsie Herring and the various people of her North Carolina community. Her family has deep roots in this area, and it has become one of the nations top producers of pork thanks to the plants by Smithfield Foods. But what are these plants doing that are negatively affecting these residents? Dumping blood and pig shit into ponds all over the area, and when there's no more room for that, they spray it into the air.

The film follows neighbors turned environmental activists who try to do all the can to get Smithfield to literally stop dumping shit everywhere. You know it's bad when even the farmers of these pigs admit they never would've signed a contract had they known what they were going to do with the waste.

It's eye opening, moving, and very well made. So much so that at times I wish I hadn't watched it because it makes me want to gag thinking of what these folks endured, but I am glad I did because now I will be talking to everyone about this film.

The Smell of Money is currently available to watch on VOD. 

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. Ew.... that is disgusting. It has me thinking about The Simpsons Movie in how Homer, in his ignorance and obsession for donuts, has him dumping pig shit into an already-polluted pond that was so bad that it made Springfield an absolute environmental ground zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably drew inspiration from this. I had no idea this was happening.

      Delete
    2. I rarely eat red meat but man, this doc would likely turn me into a vegan, ahah. It's terrible how cruel some big companies are with blatant disregard of the environment and human beings!

      Delete
    3. It might! It's insane. I wish this was on the Oscar shortlist. It deserves to be.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum