Thursday Movie Picks - Day or Night in the Title

 

It's been a while! I love title themed picks over at Wandering Through the Shelves. This time we're picking movies with "day" or "night" in the title. I leaned towards the latter. Here's what I came up with. 


1) Smiles of a Summer Night
- One of the funnier Bergman movies I've seen. I've been wanting to rewatch this one lately.


2) Night Moves
- Steven has a great post on director Kelly Reichardt and while I try to like her work, Night Moves remains the only one I really enjoyed.


3) Boogie Nights -
Sometimes I remember Philip Seymour Hoffman is no longer with us and I get so sad. I've been thinking of this film lately. I'm also probably due for a rewatch here. 

Comments

  1. 3 amazing picks and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Smiles on a Summer Night quite a bit but think I went in with too high expectations. It had been praised to the skies by the time I saw it so I expected to be blown away by it and I wasn't. Charmed yes but bowled over not so much.

    I've never seen this Night Moves but there is a marvelous Gene Hackman crime drama of the same name that came out in 1975.

    Boogie Nights was an intense and complicated watch once but I've never had any desire to go to the well again.

    I also went with movies with night in the title.

    Can't resist choosing "Night and Day" the 1946 almost completely fictionalized musical bio of Cole Porter with Cary Grant as Porter. The music is great, Alexis Smith is glamour itself as his wife and Monty Woolley is wonderful as...Monty Woolley! but as far as facts go it's a bunch of hogwash.

    Next would be the lesser known but nifty spiritualist Edward G. Robinson/Gail Russell 1948 film "Night Has a Thousand Eyes".

    For my third I'm heading all the way back to the first winner of all five of the big Oscar prizes, the highly amusing 1934 movie "It Happened One Night" with a saucy Claudette Colbert and hugely magnetic Clark Gable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen It Happened One Night! I realized when looking for an image from my Night Moves that there was a Gene Hackman movie of the same name lol. That one appears to be more popular.

      Delete
  3. I don't like that actor in Night Moves..can't think of his name but I just always want to bitch slap him. I haven't see the Bergman film but will one day. I saw Boogie Nights when it came out and may see it again...one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse Eisenberg, I think you've mentioned that before lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum