Indie Gems: Now is Good

I guess Dakota Fanning still wanted to play the sick girl after dropping out of My Sister's Keeper.
 
All kidding aside, this movie surprised me. Tessa (Dakota Fanning) is a British teenager that is dying from leukemia. Like many, she has a list of things she wants to accomplish before she goes. Though her list includes things like taking drugs, shop lifting and having sex. Tessa struggles with her relationship with her father (Paddy Constantine) who can't stand the thought of losing her and with her mother (Olivia Williams) who is never there. Tessa meets Adam (Jeremy Irvine) and falls in love. That certainly wasn't on her list.
 
The outline of this movie is very generic. The sick girl that falls in love right before she dies, but Dakota's Tessa just feels different. There were times I was angry with her about how disrespectful she is towards her father, and then there were times I understood where she was coming from. I think that's what set this film apart from others like My Sister's Keeper. Tessa isn't perfect. She's actually got some pretty shitty morals at times, but she's still deserves something good before she passes. Even though the ending was predictable, it still tore me apart. It's sad to think of someone's child dying before them.
 
I almost referred to Dakota Fanning as a "good little actress" and I need to stop doing that. She's not little anymore. She's an adult, and she gives a hell of a performance. The music really stands out in this film. It's not the sappy sad songs one would expect.
 
Grade: B
 
Memorable Quote: "Not for much longer." - Tessa (Dakota Fanning)

Comments

  1. I remember when this came out and then it just...disappeared. Nice write up. I'll try and check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when it was being filmed, then I have no idea what happened to it. It was good enough to get a decent theatrical release, in my opinion. Especially for Fanning's performance.

      Delete
  2. Sounds predictable, but still interesting. Fanning is typically so good, but my wife would kill me if I brought this one into the house.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end crazy depressing. So if you need to get in a good cry, this will be it.

      Delete
  3. This actually sounds like good, even if it's just an edgier version of the terminally ill child tear-jerker. Especially since it includes Paddy Constantine and Dakota Fanning. Adding it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you liked Paddy Constantine. I need to see more films of his. I've only seen this and My Summer of Love.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum