Indie Gems: Stoker

...Well that escalated quickly.
I never tire of using that line from Anchorman, but it does apply to several parts of Stoker in my opinion.
India Stoker (Mia Wasikowska) is a quiet, introverted teenager who finds out her beloved father has died on her 18th birthday. Suddenly, her uncle Ozymandais Charlie (Matthew Goode), whom she never even knew existed shows up at her and her mother's (Nicole Kidman) door. He's charming, but there's something dark and disturbing about him. There's something dark about India as well, and she can't help but be drawn to him.
This is one of those films that I wanted to see because of the cast and from good reviews from my fellow bloggers. That being said, I didn't actually know very much about the film in the first place. It's nice to go into a film like this blind, because I never knew what to expect, and I sure as hell didn't expect the ending I got. I saw it going in a totally different direction.
Mia Wasikowska is such a fascinating little actress, and this is probably her best performance to date. She pulls off India's melancholy attitude perfectly, and gives some of the best "death stares" I've ever seen. Matthew Goode is wonderful in his role as well as the enigmatic Charlie. You can tell just by looking at him that something is not quite right. I loved the score as well. With a film like this set mostly in greys and blacks, it brightened it up in a way and made it beautiful.
Grade: A
Memorable Quote: "I mean, no, thank you." - India (Mia Wasikowska)

Comments

  1. So glad you liked that one! I really liked Mia in this, but for me her best work so far was in Jane Eyre, she really nailed that role. Goode was fantastic here and I really loved Kidman's performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was your glowing review that made me bump this to the top of my Netflix queue. I missed it in theaters here. It was so worth it.

      Delete
  2. If I ever watch another movie...this might be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely see it! I'd love to read your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to this movie, especially after what you said about Wasikowska's performance. She is definitely an intriguing young actress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very crazy movie, but one that I actually enjoyed. It was a tad bit different from what we're used to seeing with thrillers, which is why it probably worked more for me. Good review Brittani.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The craziness obviously worked for me as well.

      Delete
  5. Great review. Short and to the point, Glad you liked this film and were surprised by the ending. Yeah Mia (not even going to try and pronounce her last name) was really good and I like her death stares as well. I agree that the music score is incredible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short and to the point is what I do! :) I love the ending more and more when I think about it. So straight forward.

      Delete
  6. mia is a fascinating actress, but i found myself kinda bored at times with this. i thought the direction was great, in a less inspired aronofsky kind of way. but i thought the plot swirled a bit too much and left me a bit woozy. and the pacing was just...off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that. Mia is fascinating. I can't wait to see what she does next. Goode was pretty fascinating as well.

      Delete
  7. I still need to watch this. Thrilled to see more praise for it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fucked up. I appreciate it more and more as I think about it.

      Delete
  8. I really want to check this out. I might even spend the $ to watch it on Vudu but I have to wait till Jr. goes to bed some night and I have enough energy to stay up and watch it. Nice review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Waiting until your kid goes to bed. I try to do that too, or I end up watching the film with subtitles so I can actually read what is going on since I can't hear all of it.

      Delete
  9. I'm in two minds about the film, which I saw day before yesterday for the first time. Still contemplating writing a review even, but the thing about it is that it's very Hitchcockian in nature. I love that fact. The direction at times tries to be too artistic, which annoyed me a little. The acting like you mentioned by most of the characters is brilliant. The film does escalate more towards the end, and there are a couple of twists one doesn't see coming, and in general it was a great suspenseful film to watch after a long time. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty Hitchcockian now that I think about it. I wasn't expecting it to end that way at all. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum