DVD Review: Girl Most Likely

Mostly likely to wonder off and do something else while watching a film..
 
Imogene (Kristen Wiig) is a needy former playwright who's just been dumped by her boyfriend. She attempts to stage a suicide to get his attention, but winds up in the care of her mother (Annette Benning) when said boyfriend fails to go to the hospital to claim her. You see, Imogene once won a $30,000 grant to write a play, but she never did. She basically has zero ambition.
 
It's really hard to root for Imogene when she seems so awful to be around. In fact, I really didn't want her to have her happy ending just handed to her. I wanted her to get off her ass and work for it. And to stop whining. And to get the fuck over her ex. The ending of this film is spectacularly awkward and doesn't fit the overall tone at all.
 
Kristen Wiig is overrated. There, I said it. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but had another actress played Imogene, perhaps she would've been more interesting. Instead, Wiig shows that she's not really capable of carrying a film on her own. (or maybe just not one with this lousy of writing) Sure, she could still be considered somewhat green to the big screen. But after hearing how she's the "next Tina Fey or Amy Poehlar" You kind of expect more.
 
Recommended: No
 
Grade: D
 
Memorable Quote: "Good luck at nationals..." - Imogene (Kristen Wiig)

Comments

  1. I had forgotten I saw this... the title and everything, that rarely happens - so, this movie must have been super bad since I erased it from my brain. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't even remember much of it either. That's sad.

      Delete
  2. Okay, so I watched it. And yeah, it wasn't good. The tone of the whole thing was just so off. And all they really wanted were quirky characters. Not interesting ones, just quirky ones. Which doesn't make for a great film, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Wiig, but yeah, it was pretty boring and forgettable haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost rented this for me and my wife. Bullet dodged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum