Review: Her

How much DO you love your computer?
 
Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) is a lonely man that works for an online company that composes 'hand written letters' for other people. He's quite talented, and his letters are beautiful, but that beauty doesn't transition into his personal life. He's still hurting after his separation from wife, Catherine. (Rooney Mara) His friend Amy, (Amy Adams) tries her best to get him out and about. Theo then purchases a new operating system that's designed to not only meet all of his needs, but "understand" him too. His OS is called Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johansson) and she's very intuitive. So much that they end up falling in love.
 
This film was very thought provoking. It makes me wonder if we as a society could ever get to the point where dating an OS would be considered normal. This film is set in the future, and just observing the extras was interesting. Nearly everyone is on their phones or alone, barely communicating with others. The video games are more realistic - and that was one of my favorite parts. We see Theo playing a very interesting game in a few scenes, and Amy actually designs them. (Her mom game was hysterical) Everything about this film was just beautiful. The way it was shot, the way everyone dressed, the score, it was all just put together so well. This is how I wish Terrence Malik films were to me. It had the same dreamy flow, but never came off as annoying or unfocused. Director Spike Jonze did a hell of a job here.
 
Then there's Joaquin, he was wonderful. He's essentially talking to no one during the entire film, yet he carries it. Scarlett was wonderful as Samantha too. You never see her, but her voice was pleasant and I think she was perfect for the part. The film itself can get a little predictable. You kind of know this relationship is set up for disaster from the start, but it still didn't take away from how lovely the film really is. Plus, when I felt myself getting teary eyed during the end, my husband promptly made a Skynet joke, and that just reinforced that I married the right person for me.
 
Recommended: Yes
 
Grade: A+
 
Memorable Quote: "I want to allow myself joy..so fuck it." - Amy (Amy Adams)


Comments

  1. Glad you love this too, Brittani! I so wanted this one to win in its category last night. Ah well, I really think Jonze did an amazing job, both in concept and execution.

    It too made me think how feasible OS dating is and it may not be as far-fetched as we think. I always like sci-fi films that made us think about our humanity and this film certainly did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Man, I just loved everything about this film. And you're right, it isn't very far-fetched.

      Delete
  2. "This is how I wish Terrence Malik films were to me" <--- exactly!!

    "Her" is my favorite movie out of an incredible 2013!! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else agreed with that statement. I was afraid no one would understand.

      Delete
  3. I think way into future this would be considered normal. People already replace normal contact with texting, facebook etc. I really liked the movie, I expected something a bit better but it was very well made and beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Lord knows I have better discussions on film on the internet than I do in real life. lol

      Delete
    2. So true, girls. I think the social commentary about how current state was so accurate and this world isn't far away at all.

      And good review Brittani :)

      Delete
  4. I love this film. I love it to death. The sex scene with Theodore and Samantha... wow... that was really a turn-on. I hope Scarlett gets nominated. She deserves it. She's got more talent in her pinky than the likes of such no-talents like Blake Lively and Julianne Hough. Not to mention that Scar-Jo is a badass. Her time has come. Scar-Jo 3:16!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was ever someone to get nominated for voice-over work, she would deserve it hands down. I can't see the academy going for it. If they won't go for Andy Serkis' motion capture work for LOTR (I thought he was worthy) I can't see them going for something like this, unfortunately. That sex scene was surprisingly hot!

      Delete
  5. Good review Brittani. A beautiful romance that not only shows us why Jonze is such a talent to behold, but why romantic-dramedies can still work, regardless of how strange their premises may be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww cute. i LOVE this film and can't get it out of my head. so many beautiful themes explored--all so genuine and provocative and showed the beauty of our flaws. i really think that we are metaphorically already living in this time, what with the disconnect in relationships and the digital dependence we are combating, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Lord knows how dependent I am on the internet. I still can't get this film out of my head either.

      Delete
  7. Glad you loved it too! I hated leaving it off of my top 10 list, but there were too many film I loved last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I held off on doing mine until I saw this, it landed there. Now I just have to wait for Short Term 12.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum