2022 Academy Award Winners


Well that was....something. The Oscars cut out 8 categories from the live broadcast and still managed to go over 3 hours as they bloated the show with stupid comedy bits and audience awards. But as bad as it was for Oscar lovers, nothing could've prepared us for how bloody awkward everything was going to get when Will Smith slapped Chris Rock for making a shitty joke about his wife. The vibe never recovered. Welp, I guess the Academy will get their ratings bump, but at what cost? Below is a list of the winners + my thoughts.

Best Picture
Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story
I knew in my heart CODA was winning, but I guessed Power of the Dog because of the STATS. I still think it should've won. CODA is great and this isn't a bad win at all, but TPOTD and Dune were still better films. 

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Javier Bardem - Being the Ricardos
Benedict Cumberbatch - The Power of the Dog
Andrew Garfield - tick, tick…Boom!
Will Smith - King Richard
Denzel Washington - The Tragedy of Macbeth
Another example of the producers truly not knowing who is going to win, otherwise someone would've scribbled Will Smith's name off his envelope. His speech was so awkward considering what happened right before it. He said "love makes you do crazy things" and that he hopes the Academy invites him back. Awkward and gross. 

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Jessica Chastain - The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Olivia Colman - The Lost Daughter
Penélope Cruz - Parallel Mothers
Nicole Kidman - Being the Ricardos
Kristen Stewart - Spencer
I'm so happy for Jessica. The Help ladies really are thriving. 

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Ciarán Hinds - Belfast
Troy Kotsur - CODA
Jesse Plemons - The Power of the Dog
J.K. Simmons - Being the Ricardos
Kodi Smit-McPhee - The Power of the Dog
His speech nearly made me cry when he started talking about his dad.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Jessie Buckley - The Lost Daughter
Ariana DeBose - West Side Story
Judi Dench - Belfast
Kirsten Dunst - The Power of the Dog
Aunjanue Ellis - King Richard
She also gave such a lovely speech and her pantsuit was fire. 

Best Directing
Kenneth Branagh - Belfast
Ryusuke Hamaguchi - Drive My Car
Jane Campion - The Power of the Dog
Paul Thomas Anderson - Licorice Pizza
Steven Spielberg - West Side Story
I'm so, so happy for this win but I cannot believe this it the ONLY thing The Power of the Dog won. Unbelievable for such a wonderful movie. Bronco Henry will hear about this.

Best Adapted Screenplay
CODA
Drive My Car
Dune
The Lost Daughter
The Power of the Dog
I was hoping for Power of the Dog here. This category was insanely stacked

Best Original Screenplay
Belfast
Don’t Look Up
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
The Worst Person in the World
I like Kenneth Branagh so...good for him. I didn't love anything in this category (haven't seen Worst Person in the World)

Best Documentary Feature
Ascension
Attica
Flee
Summer of Soul
Writing With Fire
Questlove deserved our attention for this moment, but everyone was too busy recovering from Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock on stage. I'm guilty of this too, I was immediately on Twitter and I HATE that this bullshit happened before this award in particular. 

Best Animated Feature Film
Encanto
Flee
Luca
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Raya and the Last Dragon
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz should've been Flee.

Best International Feature Film
Drive My Car (Japan)
Flee (Denmark)
The Hand of God (Italy)
Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (Buhtan)
The Worst Person in the World (Norway)
They attempted to play off the director after he spoke for approximately 4 seconds. Glad he told them to wait and kept going.

Best Cinematography
Dune
Nightmare Alley
The Power of The Dog
The Tragedy of Macbeth
West Side Story
Dune swept the shit out of the technical categories. 

Best Film Editing
Don’t Look Up
Dune
King Richard
The Power of the Dog
Tick, Tick…Boom!
This was probably the closest thing to a shock (win-wise) we had all night. 

Best Live Action Short Film
Ala Kacchu – Take and Run
The Dress
The Long Goodbye
On My Mind
Please Hold
Riz Ahmed is an Oscar winner and I HAD TO FIND OUT ON TWITTER! They better never do this pre show shit again.

Best Animated Short Film
Affairs of the Art
Bestia
Boxballet
Robin Robin
The Windshield Wiper
I cannot believe this one. Windshield Wiper was a MESS. Affairs of the Art, you win in my heart. 

Best Documentary Short Subject
Audible
Lead Me Home
The Queen of Basketball
Three Songs of Benazir
When We Were Bullies
I'm shocked Audible didn't win here. The Queen of Basketball is my #2 behind that, but I thought for sure Audible was getting it. 

Best Original Score
Don’t Look Up
Dune
Encanto
Parallel Mothers
The Power of the Dog
Hans Zimmer FINALLY won an another Oscar. He wasn't here, but he tweeted a photo of himself in a bathrobe in Amsterdam with a toy Oscar. King shit. 

Best Original Song
Be Alive - King Richard
Dos Oroguitos - Encanto
Down to Joy - Belfast
No Time To Die - No Time To Die
Somehow to Do - Four Good Days
Billie and Finneas are so pure. 

Best Production Design
Dune
Nightmare Alley
Power of the Dog
The Tragedy of Macbeth
West Side Story


Best Costume Design
Cruella
Cyrano
Dune
Nightmare Alley
West Side Story


Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Coming 2 America
Cruella
Dune
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
House of Gucci


Best Sound
Belfast
Dune
No Time To Die
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story
Who will and should win: Dune read on twitter

Best Visual Effects
Dune
Free Guy
No Time To Die
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Comments

  1. Imagine, this was the Academy's plan to make the telecast *intentionally* better, like they had meetings and shit...and this is what we they came up with. The slap chaos might be the best thing that ever happened to this show (it wasn't, but still), because those top 5 lists were monumentally ridiculous, some of the bits were extra cringey, and the fact that I didn't get to see Samuel L. Jackson get an Oscar is a f--king travesty.

    I only saw TPOTD (and Encanto) so I'm not qualified to talk about much on-topic, but goodness, it's like Hollywood went out of their way to alienate the industry even further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yes, the slap. Smith is a hot head and, if you noticed, he laughed at the joke but Jada did not. Either he saw her look or she said something when the cameras went back to Chris. Now, I know someone who suffer from alopecia and all her hair came out when she started to shampoo. She was devastated and had to go for counselling. Her hair has come back but in patches so she wears a wig or a hat. I am certain she would be upset but this does not give Smith the right to smack Chris Rock or say what he said. I think it would have been better to talk to Chris off stage. I don’t know what is going n in Smith’s life, but I have a feeling there is more that Smith has had to deal with and this was the final nail in the coffin. Can you imagine if it was Ricky Gervais or Don Rickles?
    I felt bad for Questlove who won right after this but people were still reeling from the smack. I thought Questlove gave a great speech. When Will Smith won, he was very emotional but his apology was not a true apology. When a person apologizes and then says “but...” he negates the apology. He then went on to explain how he felt and made it seem that he was a defender. He may very well be but that was bullying.
    Some of the fashions were just eye ...Er boob popping and not in a good way. I hate that new style with the cut outs around the boobs. Ross’s gown was horrible with those boobs and the William’s sisters looked like Barbie dolls gone bad. The gal in the Turquoise dress looked like something from Star Trek and Jadaks gown, looks vex the colour, but that train...she had a hard time walking in it and it reminded me of broccoli.
    I loved what Kenneth Branagh said and loved the man who won Best Supporting Oscar. I have to see Coda. I watched Windshield Wiper which was...dumb. I enjoyed the Art woman but thought Robin, Robin would win.
    Poor Liza Minnelli...I had to look up what was wrong and I guess she just came out of the hospital and almost died from ensyphilitis...not spelling that word right. I have to see Power of The Dog. Oh and Timothy...”put a shirt on, you are not Jason Mamoa”. He is so skinny that I could beat him up and that’s saying a lot...hahahaa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza Minnelli made me uncomfortable because she reminded me of my grandma right before she passed. It just made me sad.

      All Smith had to do was stay in his seat and yell at Rock and he would've been praised for it. Getting up and slapping him, then carrying on like nothing happened made this all so much worse. His speech was horrendous.

      Delete
  3. I didn't watch the show so I went to your Twitter scroll to look into the coverage as I was finishing up my review of Dark Waters and listening to Solomonster. I have to say, your Twitter responses was way more entertaining than the show itself and from the bits that I saw. Wow... a fucking trainwreck. I'm sure this is going to be remembered for all the wrong reasons just like the 1989 ceremony that was produced by Allan Carr that was all over the place and gave audiences the infamous Rob Lowe-Snow White duet (still the worst thing Rob Lowe has done but I forgive him). I don't know what was worse, this year's or the 1989 ceremony.

    My mother is now interested in seeing CODA as I hope to see sometime this week with her as she also learned that Eugenio Derbez is in the film as she's a fan of Eugenio.

    Wow... there's a lot about the show I hated from the random celebrity guests and such, the lame tributes, the musical performances, and some of the bits that went way too long and I still hate that they didn't present all of the categories which is a fucking diss. It was going bad and then... Willy-Will got testy over a bad joke and slapped Chris Rock.

    Now if I was a married man and someone said something awful about my wife. Motherfucker would be lying face down in a pool of his own blood. However, given the fact that Willy-Will and Jada haven't been faithful to one another while bringing rumors into open marriages and having 2 spoiled-ass rotten kids who will never survive the real world not to mention that they're all probably associated with Scientology. Willy-Will had it coming though Rock's joke was just weak. If Rock had said something about his children, that is the way to go as all Rock did was expose Willy-Will as a fucking asshole.

    In what should've been a night for cinema and to honor those who worked their asses off in their craft despite the awful show. Willy-Will ended up making things worse as no one cared about who won as it was all about a stupid slap.

    If I was producing the Oscars. I'd make goddamn sure that everything is organized. Give the winners 3-5 minutes to their speeches. Make sure the show ran from 7:30 to 11:30 at the latest. No stupid celebrity guests or flavor-of-the-month people involved. 5 musical performances. A memoriam montage with no awful music and make sure no one is left behind. Cut the comedy bits to a minimum and for fuck's sake. No more John Travolta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol my Twitter is a disaster. I'm sorry you had to scroll through that. Rock's joke was bad, but Will hitting him was worse. If he had stayed in his seat and yelled "My wife as alopecia..apologize" people would've praised him for it. Now look where we are.

      Delete
  4. I was watching live and ... wow. The rest of our night was spent debating & discussing the slap (Was it real? Was Will completely wrong, or did he have a good reason? Was Chris wrong? How great - or scared - was he that he regained composure relatively quickly?) and looking online to see what everyone else was saying (Twitter for me, my wife manned Facebook, my daughter was on Instagram). I felt really bad for ?uestlove, whose win was totally overshadowed, along with the Williams family who had to listen to Will awkwardly use Richard's life (& God) to justify his actions. The show was still on, but other than saying "Dune won again," we weren't particularly invested in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I felt bad for Questlove too because you can tell how much heart and soul he put into that doc. I hate that all that BS had to happen right before his award. Imagine if Will Smith had just sat in his seat and screamed "She has alopecia, apologize to my wife." Rock would've looked like an idiot and Will wouldn't have come off as completely unhinged.

      Delete
  5. I used to LIVE for Oscar night and the galaxy of stars that were paraded out, but my fervor has been diminishing year by year, I don't think I'm alone in this. Last night was a clear illustration of how far they have fallen.

    Last year's ceremony was terrible, but I was willing to give it a lot of latitude because of the difficulties they faced putting it together in the time of the pandemic, but this year was awful in a whole separate way.

    The disgusting spectacle Will Smith made of himself both when he struck Chris Rock (a vile display which could conceivably lead to standup comics becoming less safe since his actions will suffer no consequences) and the gross meant to be self-serving acceptance speech aside, I hated the setup of the theatre which was a very have and have nots assembly. The most recognizable faces in a sort of cocktail party/supper club atmosphere and the peasants consigned to the cheap seats behind the barrier, way to show unity Academy!

    Then the edited in awards did not even get their own presenters just a quick scroll with a faceless voice listing the nominees. Speaking of presenters, what an uninspiring lot!! I was only vaguely aware who half of them were, fresh faces are fine, but I want to see Movie Stars!

    Even if they seem to forget that performers like Jane Fonda, Sigourney Weaver or Sissy Spacek are still active and working they couldn't even manage Brad Pitt, DiCaprio or Meryl Streep! True Liza Minnelli shared the Best Picture duties (sad to see her so diminished but she has been having troubles ever since she was stricken by viral encephalitis over a decade ago) but as far as old-time glamour went, she was about it.

    And don't get me started on that travesty of an In Memoriam segment! Year after year they just do not get it, the tribute is not about having a distraction as it unfurls (and this year's stomping train wreck was one of the worst) but a commemoration and acknowledgement of those who have passed contributions. The panel who puts it together needs to seriously sit down and watch a couple of years of the tributes TCM does. Theirs are beautifully done, classy and respectful-a small snippet of each person either from a film or doing their work behind the scenes set to appropriate music.

    I’m glad Jessica Chastain won but not about much else. I recorded it on my DVR and sped through almost the entire show (of the trio of hosts-Schumer was her usual beyond annoying self, Wanda Sykes had a moment or two but many misses and Regina Hall forgettable), a sad comedown for a once great institution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night's broadcast was easily the worst I've ever watched. I wish they'd just accept that they're not meant to be a huge mainstream thing and just work on catering to their loyal viewers. And even with 8 categories given off air, they STILL went longer than then last year. I hate it. lol

      Delete
    2. I love what you said, Joel, about Will and his horrendous speech basically condoning his actions. I believe we see a truer picture of Smith rather than the “aw shucks” style he portrays. Remember when someone kisses his cheek and he went off on the guy? Also, when they mention the nominees, he clapped for himself which, I just think is tacky when they do that. I was not happy with the In Memoriam either and hated that stomp style which distracted from the people who passed. Poor Norman Lloyd. Yes, I too, don’t know many of these people and those dresses...many looked cheap and tacky. I actually didn’t mind the 3 hosts even Amy whom I don’t like but I didn’t care for Regina King groping the 2 guys. If one can’t do it to women, obviously, then Why to men.

      Delete
    3. Yes! As much as I agree with Regina, those dudes are fine, that would not have flown if the roles were reversed, so I don't care for it either.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum