2022 Oscar Predictions: Who Will Win, Who Should win


The biggest movie day of the year is almost upon us! Time for me to throw my picks into the universe and hope I do well. Below is who I think will win, and in some cases who should win instead.

Best Picture
Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story
Who will and should win: The Power of the Dog
I think CODA could upset, and I'd be okay with that too, it's a great movie. But POTD has been my favorite film of the year.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Javier Bardem - Being the Ricardos
Benedict Cumberbatch - The Power of the Dog
Andrew Garfield - tick, tick…Boom!
Will Smith - King Richard
Denzel Washington - The Tragedy of Macbeth
Who will win: Will Smith
Who should win: Benedict Cumberbatch
I still can't believe Cumberbatch isn't going to win a thing for his amazing turn in this movie. Smith is great in King Richard, but he doesn't reach the level of Cumberbatch (Or even Denzel if we're being honest)

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Jessica Chastain - The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Olivia Colman - The Lost Daughter
Penélope Cruz - Parallel Mothers
Nicole Kidman - Being the Ricardos
Kristen Stewart - Spencer
Who will win: Chastain
Who should win: Her, Stewart or Colman
This is the only one of the acting categories that's a legit race. I think Chastain has the edge, and that would be a good win. I'm excited about this one.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Ciarán Hinds - Belfast
Troy Kotsur - CODA
Jesse Plemons - The Power of the Dog
J.K. Simmons - Being the Ricardos
Kodi Smit-McPhee - The Power of the Dog
Who will and should win: Troy Kotsur
It will be a historic and well earned win for Kotsur. 

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Jessie Buckley - The Lost Daughter
Ariana DeBose - West Side Story
Judi Dench - Belfast
Kirsten Dunst - The Power of the Dog
Aunjanue Ellis - King Richard
Who will win: Ariana DeBose
Who should win: Kristen Dunst
Ariana is amazing in West Side Story and this category has been open and shut all year, but I'm always Team Kiki, so I'm bias. 

Best Directing
Kenneth Branagh - Belfast
Ryusuke Hamaguchi - Drive My Car
Jane Campion - The Power of the Dog
Paul Thomas Anderson - Licorice Pizza
Steven Spielberg - West Side Story
Who will and should win: Jane Campion
Her disastrous speech at the Critics Choice awards might effect this a little, but I still think she should win. Her film is the best of the bunch and we need more Oscar winning female directors.

Best Adapted Screenplay
CODA
Drive My Car
Dune
The Lost Daughter
The Power of the Dog
Who will and should win: The Power of the Dog
I'm a little iffy on this, because I think CODA could win, but I think TPOTD needs this to support Best Picture. 

Best Original Screenplay
Belfast
Don’t Look Up
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
The Worst Person in the World
Who will win: Belfast
Who should win: ?
I haven't seen The Worst Person in the World, so I can't speak for that, but the rest are....kind of weak. I can't stay I feel strongly about any of them, even though I enjoyed Belfast and King Richard.

Best Documentary Feature
Ascension
Attica
Flee
Summer of Soul
Writing With Fire
Who will win: Summer of Soul
Who should win: Flee
Summer of Soul is a great doc, but I preferred Flee slightly more. But I'd love to see Questlove win an Oscar and it's nice to have an uplifting doc win. 

Best nimated Feature Film
Encanto
Flee
Luca
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Raya and the Last Dragon
Who will win: Encanto
Who should win: Flee
I prefer Flee and The Mitchells vs the Machines to Encanto, but it's Disney and it has a lot of buzz. It will win. I just wish something like Flee could break the mold.

Best International Feature Film
Drive My Car (Japan)
Flee (Denmark)
The Hand of God (Italy)
Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (Buhtan)
The Worst Person in the World (Norway)
Who will win: Drive My Car
It's hard for me to pick a "who should win" because I've only seen Flee and this, which are both excellent films. I think Japan having the corresponding Best Pic nominee puts this out in front. I really hope I get to see The Worst Person in the World soon.

Best Cinematography
Dune
Nightmare Alley
The Power of The Dog
The Tragedy of Macbeth
West Side Story
Who will and should win: Dune
This is such a tough choice because all these movies are beautiful, but Dune is probably going to clean house in the technical awards, so I think it wins here too. I would not be mad about a Power of the Dog or Macbeth upset though.

Best Film Editing
Don’t Look Up
Dune
King Richard
The Power of the Dog
Tick, Tick…Boom!
Who will win: The Power of the Dog
Who should win: That or Tick, Tick...Boom!
I think if tick, tick...BOOM wins anything, it will be here. But I'm not sure if it will pull through. I think Power of the Dog has more momentum. 

Best Live Action Short Film
Ala Kacchu – Take and Run
The Dress
The Long Goodbye
On My Mind
Please Hold
Who will and should win: The Long Goodbye
If you saw my post a few days ago, you know my thoughts on all of these. I think The Long Goodbye is the strongest of the bunch, but Take and Run is close behind it. 

Best Animated Short Film
Affairs of the Art
Bestia
Boxballet
Robin Robin
The Windshield Wiper
Who will win: Robin Robin
Who should win: Affairs of the Art
Robin Robin is a pretty basic pick. While I think Affairs of the Art is the clear frontrunner of this category, it might be a bit too weird to win. I hope I'm wrong here. 

Best Documentary Short Subject
Audible
Lead Me Home
The Queen of Basketball
Three Songs of Benazir
When We Were Bullies
Who will and should win: Audible
Audible is the best of these and it would be nice to see another film focused around the deaf community win alongside CODA in some other categories. 

Best Original Score
Don’t Look Up
Dune
Encanto
Parallel Mothers
The Power of the Dog
Who will and should win: Dune
Of these, Dune has my favorite score by a long shot. 

Best Original Song
Be Alive - King Richard
Dos Oroguitos - Encanto
Down to Joy - Belfast
No Time To Die - No Time To Die
Somehow to Do - Four Good Days
Who will win - No Time to Die
Who should win - ?
I don't feel strongly about any of these songs. Bond songs tend to do well, so I feel like it probably has the edge.

Best Production Design
Dune
Nightmare Alley
Power of the Dog
The Tragedy of Macbeth
West Side Story
Who will and should win - The Tragedy of Macbeth
I'm swinging for the fences with this one. I think West Side Story will probably win, but the way Macbeth was laid out was brilliant. I'm going for it.

Best Costume Design
Cruella
Cyrano
Dune
Nightmare Alley
West Side Story
Who will win: West Side Story
Who should win: Cruella or Nightmare Alley
I think West Side Story will prevail here, but it's not my personal favorite.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Coming 2 America
Cruella
Dune
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
House of Gucci
Who will and should win: The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Let's be honest, Jessica Chastain's face deserves this win.

Best Sound
Belfast
Dune
No Time To Die
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story
Who will and should win: Dune

Best Visual Effects
Dune
Free Guy
No Time To Die
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Who will win: Dune
Who should win: Dune or Shang-Chi

Comments

  1. I rented Dune and The Eyes of Tammy Faye....yes, rented actual DVDs..hahahaaa. I still have to watch them. I so want to see Power of the Dog. I love Benedict but I see the strong oomph for Will Smith. I almost hope he doesn’t win to blow the balloon head of his. I will look up YouTube to see f I can see any of the shorts plus listen to the score and music. I would be pissed if I was relegated to the hour before the actual telecast. Next thing would be 0lacing their table by the furnace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I still get actual DVDs in the mail from Netflix lol. There are no more video rental stores in my city unless you count Redbox.

      Delete
  2. I'm team Kiki as well. She's been due for an Oscar ever since Melancholia. For Best Song, "No Time to Die" as it's a song that ended up growing on me. Plus, it's not written by Diane Warren who just plainly sucks as a songwriter and should never have an Oscar.

    I'm not going to watch this year's ceremony. The fact that some of the categories won't be televised while the people of those original song nominees won't perform in favor of "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is fucking bullshit. At least there is an awards show on Wednesday that I will watch. The AEW Awards for the best things that happened in 2021 and you can watch it on YouTube. Free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I hope this is the worst rated telecast in history so they realize how terrible they messed upt his year.

      Delete
    2. OK...no songs being performed? WTF is about "WE Don't Talk To Bruno Anymore"?? Whoever is in charge-these executroids, as I like to call them, need to have their asses kicked. What is AEW Awards?

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen nearly enough of these to make any real predictions.

    If Ariana DeBose wins, will this be the first time two people have won Oscars for the same role?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, we have Brando/De Niro for Vito Corleone and Ledger/Phoenix for The Joker. It might be the first time a woman has won for the same role, unless I'm missing someone?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum