Review: The Lost City


Loretta is a romance novelist who has been a shut in since the death of her archeologist husband 5 years prior. She doesn't want to do her upcoming book tour, especially with her cover model, Alan (Channing Tatum) who is starting to take as much credit for making her books as she is. She's then kidnapped by a billionaire, Abigail Fairfax (Daniel Radcliffe) to translate some ruins and find a lost treasure she centers her novel around.

Adventure/romances are not something I typically seek out, especially in theaters, but Daniel Radcliffe playing a petulant rich asshole was enough to get me in a seat. And I had a good time! This isn't the funniest thing I've seen all year, but I laughed enough and I enjoyed the chemistry of the lead characters.

Where this film struggles is with its side plots. There's an entire one focused on Loretta's agent (Da'Vine Joy Randolph) who is a very good actress but the material wasn't strong enough to justify it. There's a lot of convenience going on, but it's easy to wave away for some easy comedy.

So is this for you? Bullock and Tatum were fun together. This movie isn't going to fall on any masterpiece lists, but it's a nice way to spend an evening.

Grade: B-


Comments

  1. I think this is a film I'll wait for on streaming or on TV as I think my mom will enjoy this. Plus, I'd like to see Daniel Radcliffe play a villain for a change. Hell, have him and Tom Felton do a film together with the latter being the good guy. Besides, there have more to do than take part in some lame cash-in from a transphobic writer with an ailing franchise that's already troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be cool! I'd say this is definitely a good at home viewing.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear this isn't a total disaster. That trailer looks awful. I might check it out this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute enough! It might make for a nice date night with Mrs. Dell.

      Delete
  3. I had fun w/ this one! No, not a masterpiece but not every movie has to be. Bullock and Tatum are fun and Pitt was such a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they wouldn't have advertised Pitt. That would've been a hilarious surprise.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum