Thursday Movie Picks - Non English Films

 

This week's theme from Wandering Through The Shelves is another annual pick; movies that are not in the English language. I decided to go through my diary on Letterboxd and chose the last three movies I watched in a foreign language, and wow has it been a while. I've been slacking in the foreign film department. 


1) Parallel Mothers
- From Spain, this is easily my favorite Pedro Almodóvar movie. Penelope Cruz is amazing in it, and I loved that there's a happy ending. I need that sometimes. 


2) Titane -
From France, this movie is whack. I can see why so many at Canne loved it, and it really is unique, but oh my God. I'd be so afraid to recommend this to 90% of the people I know for fear of never being talked to again. 


3) A Hero -
From Iran, this is probably my least favorite of Asghar Farhadi, but even subpar Farhadi is good. I

Comments

  1. I'm 0 for 3 on yours this week. I've heard very good things about the Penelope Cruz film and do want to see it just haven't gotten there yet. The other two are new to me.

    I've also fallen behind on my foreign film watching since TCM was cut from my cable package, I really miss it.

    I have seen a few though, the most recent of which was a charming French comedy about a pro swimmer who makes a homophobic remark on air and is required to coach a gay swim team to make reparation called The Shiny Shrimps.

    Otherwise there's the crazy Monica Vitti comedy Girl with a Pistol. She plays a Sicilian woman who is disgraced by her lover and sets out to London to exact justice. It's quite odd but often very funny.

    The last is one I saw just before we lost TCM-Late Spring directed by Yasujiro Ozu. A youngish woman is perfectly happy with her life living with her father until her aunt convinces her father that she should be married and it creates upheaval in both their lives. Quite touching and a bit sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel pretty confident in saying you would not like Titane, but you'd probably like Parallel Mothers! I haven't seen any of your picks either.

      Delete
  2. I've been watching more Non-English TV series and have seen so few Non-English movies, so I haven't seen any of your picks this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to watch more foreign TV shows. That's my blind spot.

      Delete
  3. So far, I've only seen Titane which is just fucking awesome. I do have Parallel Mothers in my DVR list (depending on how much time left I'll have with cable (which fucking sucks)) and I do hope to see A Hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parallel Mothers is sooooooooo good. I loved it.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you 100% on Titane. It's a hard film to recommend to anyone, but I thought it was pretty great.

    I liked Parallel Mothers, but I'm prone to liking anything with Penelope Cruz in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it overall as well because it was so different from anything I've ever seen, even if parts made me very uncomfortable.

      Delete
  5. I'm so behind in commenting but I'm here. I'd like to see Parallel Mothers but not sure about Titane. I qouldnt mind sewing the last one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm super curious about Titane. The poster looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum