Thursday Movie Picks - TV Edition: Book Adaptations


It's another reoccurring theme at Wandering Through The Shelves, and in this TV edition we're talking about series based off of books. This one can be tricky because I don't want to use the same series every year. Thankfully, the world of streaming has been keeping us fed with limited series, and here are three I really enjoyed that were based of novels.


1) Under the Banner of Heaven -
This was so juicy. Andrew Garfield got a deserved Emmy nomination for his performance, but the rest of the actors and the show itself should've gotten far more. It is a little strange at first. Party murder mystery, part history on the Mormons (which is the weakest part, but apparently the book is written this way too.) I loved it. The actors were fantastic and I was eager for the next episode each week.


2) Dopesick -
This I watched late last year, but it was also based on a novel about the opioid crisis and has several Emmy nominations as well. Great cast, occasionally frustrating to watch so many people make bad decisions but it's worth your time. 


3) Tokyo Vice -
I kept getting ads for this while watching Youtube videos and I got sucked in. I was not expecting to like a show led by Ansel Elgort of all people so much. I think the finale was a bit weak, but I was very enthralled with the story and I hope it gets a second season.

Comments

  1. Under the Banner of Heaven is on my "to be watched" list. I've only heard great things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. If I hadn't been watching it in real time I would've probably binged it in an entire day

      Delete
  2. I'd like to see the first one but I never heard of it. I have heard of Dopesick but have nit seen..I'd like to. I don't know the 3rd one and it's not interesting toe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highly recommend Under the Banner of Heaven! I think you'd like it.

      Delete
  3. These are the shows that I want to see. Tokyo Vice of the 3 I want to see the most mainly because of Michael Mann.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Under the Banner of Heaven, and I agree with you--the Mormon history is slower than the rest. It's worth reading, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was such an annoying choice, but knowing the book was actually like that made me accept it more.

      Delete
  5. These are all series I'm aware of but haven't seen yet. Tokyo Vice is on HBO, I usually wait until there are a couple of titles that I want to watch before subscribing since it is one of the more pricier service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with services too, but HBO is one I keep all year round. There's always something to watch there

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen any of these but I have heard of Under the Banner of Heaven. Organized religion is a scourge on humanity if you ask me (not that you did) so anything relating to it usually sets me off so I've avoided the book. I have heard good things about the show however.

    The other two are completely new to me.

    My thoughts drifted to celebrity bios that have been adapted into miniseries or TV movies. Two that were very good and one that while not awful didn't do justice to its subject.

    Norman Mailer's acclaimed look at Marilyn Monroe-Marilyn: The Untold Story was made into a 1980 miniseries with Catherine Hicks giving the best interpretation I have seen of the tragic beauty. More than just a series of gestures she was able to capture something of the essence that made MM so special.

    Then there's the miniseries of Lorna Luft's chronicle of her bumpy life growing up as one of Judy Garland's daughters in Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows with Judy Davis playing the adult Judy.

    Lastly the movie version of 30's comedienne Thelma Todd's biography-Hot Toddy by Andy Edmunds renamed White Hot: The Mysterious Murder of Thelma Todd for television that starred Loni Anderson. It's the weakest of the three and Loni isn't ideal casting, but it is not a bad film just ordinary. Thelma and her mad, crazy short life deserved better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the way you went with this, even if I haven't seen any of them. You should check out Under The Banner of Heaven though! Great series

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum