Review: Honk for Jesus. Save Your Soul


Pastor Lee-Curtis Childs (Sterling K. Brown) and his wife and First Lady Trinitie Childs (Regina Hall) are attempting to re-open their mega church following a scandal Lee-Curtis found himself in. With a documentary crew in tow, they will do anything to get back to the top.

Religious mega-churches are NOT my thing at all, but when I saw the mockumentary style trailers for this, I knew I wanted to see it. Unfortunately, the film doesn't fully commit to the mockumentary style. Which ends up making it a bit tonally uneven. The scenes that the documentary crew catches are the best, but the ones where they are not present, and the film takes a more dramatic route don't really mesh well with the rest of it. I understand the dilemma director Adamma Ebo had here. The more heavy stuff between Lee-Curtis and Trinitie couldn't possibly be captured by the crew. She finds herself between a rock and a hard place. Even though it's not perfectly executed, I think she did the best she could.

Brown and Hall are amazing. I loved their chemistry. Their characters are both so inherently full of shit that it was just fun watching the facade falter at times. Especially Hall. She's so expressive, the casting is just perfect here.

So is this for you? It's currently streaming on Peacock if you have that subscription service, it's definitely worth your time. It's admittedly not perfect, but still made for a fun watch.

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. Holy bright blue Batman! Another channel?? I have never even heard of Peacock...sigh...it's getting ridiculous. Ok I can't stand these hypocrites who yake peoples' money in the name of Jesus, God or whatever but I do like shows/ films that eidicule these people/ establishments. I do want to see this but SAS to hear it wasn't up to snuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lol. Peacock is NBC's streaming service and I only have it because they have the rights to Premier league soccer. I also like when these people get clowned on, so this was a good watch even with its flaws.

      Delete
  2. I do want to see this film as I hope it will arrive on HBO or something soon. I ain't subscribing to the Cock. NBC is not a word. It's not even a network. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol if it didn't have Premier League, I wouldn't subscribe either.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum