2024 Academy Award Nominations


We made it to the Oscars! As always, the Academy is up to some truly clown shit in some categories. Here are my thoughts on Today's nominations. Nomination list via Next Best Picture

Best Picture
American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
I personally would throw out Maestro and put The Iron Claw here, but clearly no one cares what I think. I think these were solidly everyone's predictions. The Zone of Interest was the only "maybe."

Best Director
Jonathan Glazer – The Zone of Interest
Yorgos Lanthimos – Poor Things
Christopher Nolan – Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese – Killers of the Flower Moon
Justine Triet – Anatomy of a Fall
The Academy decided to fill their one female director quota and not look beyond that. The fact that Greta Gerwig isn't here is pretty egregious considering how well Barbie did. In my unpopular opinion, I'd put her here over Scorsese. I'm happy for Triet at least. I just hope I live to see the day where all 5 of these nominations are women. 

Best Actress
Annette Bening – Nyad
Lily Gladstone – Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller – Anatomy of a Fall
Carey Mulligan – Maestro
Emma Stone – Poor Things
EMBARASSING for the Academy to snub Margot Robbie when the supporting players are nominated. Who are these people that went so hard for Nyad? Sure, the film was fine, but over Margot? Nope. Hüller getting in was a nice surprise, at least. I wish Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor could've gotten more traction for Origin as well.

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper – Maestro
Paul Giamatti – The Holdovers
Colman Domingo – Rustin
Cillian Murphy – Oppenheimer
Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction
Bradley Cooper has Zac Efron's nomination and you can't tell me otherwise. His performance in Maestro is pathetically thirsty and I will never be on board with it. 

Best Supporting Actress
Emily Blunt – Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks – The Color Purple
America Ferrera – Barbie
Jodie Foster – Nyad
Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
You know, I like America Ferrera and I'm happy for her, but she's nominated for a single scene. She gets in for a single scene, and her costar gets snubbed for her whole performance. I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around that. I'm happiest for Da'Vine. I still haven't seen The Color Purple, but Danielle Brooks was so good in Orange is the New Black I have no trouble believing she's Oscar worthy in this.  

Best Supporting Actor
Sterling K. Brown – American Fiction
Robert De Niro – Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr. – Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling – Barbie
Mark Ruffalo – Poor Things
I weep for Charles Melton and my long shot nom - Milo Machado Graner. I would've put both of them in before De Niro. I can't be mad at Sterling K. Brown because he was hilarious in American Fiction, I just wish Melton or Graner would've joined him. 

Best Adapted Screenplay
American Fiction
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
Apparently basing your film on a plastic doll is enough to qualify for adapted. I still think it's a dumb move, but aside from Zone of Interest, which I haven't seen, I love all of these screenplays. 

Best Original Screenplay
Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Maestro
May December
Past Lives
Again we have Maestro occupying a place The Iron Claw (or Priscilla, or Flora & Son, or Polite Society) could've gone. *sigh*

Best Animated Feature
The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Nimona
Robot Dreams
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
There was a second where I forgot "Spider-man" came before "Across The Spider-verse" because I only refer to it as the latter and I screamed at my computer while they were reading off the nominees, before quickly correcting myself because I thought it got snubbed. Today was wild. I haven't seen Nimona or Robot Dreams, but I'm sad for TMNT and Super Mario Bros. I loved both of those.

Best Documentary Feature
Bobi Wine: The People’s President
The Eternal Memory
Four Daughters
To Kill A Tiger
20 Days in Mariupol
I'm so happy for Four Daughters! I haven't seen the other nominees. I saw some great docs this year and only Four Daughters seemed to have caught on with voters. I'll have to check out the rest. 

Best International Feature Film
Io Capitano
Perfect Days
Society of the Snow
The Teachers’ Lounge
The Zone of Interest
I haven't seen any of these. I've been dragging my feet on Society of the Snow. I know it's on Netflix, but I'm just not interested, despite everyone raving about it. I'll get over it. 

Best Cinematography
El Conde
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Again, Maestro being here is silly. There were beautiful films like Barbie, Asteroid City or Priscilla that would've been better suited here

Best Costume Design
Barbie
Killers of the Flower Moon
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
I wish Polite Society would've somehow made it in here. I'm torn between Barbie and Poor Things. I loved the costumes both so much. I don't know who I'd pick to win. 

Best Film Editing
Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
No notes for these picks!

Best Make-Up & Hairstyling
Golda
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Society of the Snow
What the fuck is Golda and where the fuck is Barbie? 

Best Production Design
Barbie
Killers of the Flower Moon
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Did voters forget Asteroid City came out this year? How do you know put a Wes Anderson film in Production Design? It's literally always beautiful. 

Best Original Score
American Fiction
Killers of the Flower Moon
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Indiana Jones is a surprise. I thought Spider-verse would get another nomination here. Or at least The Boy and the Heron. 

Best Original Song
American Symphony — “It Never Went Away”
Barbie — “I’m Just Ken”
Barbie — “What Was I Made For?”
Flamin’ Hot — “The Fire Inside”
Killers of the Flower Moon — “Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)”
Diane Warren must be stopped. I was really hoping Can't Catch Me Now from The Hunger Games: A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes would make it in. That song is written so perfectly for Lucy Gray and what she means to Snow moving forward. I don't think voters take Olivia Rodrigo as seriously as they take Billie Eilish, which is a shame. I did call "Dance" not making it in for Barbie.

Best Sound
The Creator
Maestro
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning
Oppenheimer
The Zone of Interest
I'm shocked Ferrari isn't here. Sound is what stood out the most to me with that film.

Best Visual Effects
The Creator
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning
Napoleon
I still need to see Godzilla Minus One. My theater is replacing it with the black and white version this weekend, which I'm not sure I want to see. Guardians is my favorite of these films. Marvel movies always have great VFX, and they never win. 

Best Animated Short Film
Letter to a Pig
Ninety-Five Senses
Our Uniform
Pachyderm
War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko
Ready to start my annual Oscars shorts watch!

Best Documentary Short Film
The ABCs of Book Banning
The Barber of Little Rock
Island In Between
The Last Repair Shop
Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó

Live Action Short Film
The After
Invincible
Knight Of Fortune
Red, White And Blue
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Henry Sugar was very good, at least Wes gets some consolation after all the Asteroid City snubs. 

Comments

  1. Not a single nomination for Ferrari... shit... I'll have to wait for on streaming :(

    I'm happy for Ryan and America (I'm distantly related to her) but I'm not happy that Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie got snubbed. I'm not happy that Annette Bening got nominated and not Margot or even Cailee Spaeny for Priscilla.

    BTW, I care about what you think. And who the fuck booed "I'm Just Ken" during the nominations announcement? I'd like to beat the shit out of who fucking did that. I'm betting it was Oliver Stone as he really said awful things about Ryan Gosling in doing that film. That old fuck hasn't made a watchable movie in 25 years as all he's done is whine about a bunch of bullshit that bears no relevance to anything. Fucking piece of shit pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure Ferrari would be in Sound! Really surprised by that. Ken getting a nomination when Barbie didn't....hello plot of the film. lol

      I think some people don't understand that part of Best Original Song is also how the song plays in the film, and I'm Just Ken played hysterically. Oliver Stone can stay mad about it. I just wish Peaches would've gotten in for Mario.

      Delete
  2. Hello!! I have to catch up here. I haven't seen the films but hope to remedy this. I am very shocked that Margot Robbie is not nominated because, doesn't she carry the whole film? How can they not nominated Greta Gerwig? I have nor seen Barbie but that seems like a slap across their faces. Hmm...do you know that Beatrice Straight won a best supporting Oscar for her very small role In Network? I so want to see Maestro and think this is a film younger people will hate. I always loved Leonard Bernstein and recall him being interviewed and watched him conducting on PBS. I want to see so many of these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum