What I Watched on TV in December

After taking a month off, I finally found something to watch on the small screen again!


Dr. Death -
I was not expecting one of the best hours of TV I would see in 2023 would be on a Peacock show that got zero promotion. I didn't even know they were planning turning Dr. Death into an anthology. I enjoyed the first season that aired back in 2021. This new season follows another real life doctor who left behind a trail of carnage. This time, Dr. Paolo Macchiarini (played by Edgar Ramirez) is regarded as a miracle surgeon implanting biosynthetic tracheas in patients. Calling them a success, when in reality it was anything but. The most harrowing episode is "191",  when we meet his 5th patient, Yesim Cetir (played with wide-eyed wonder by Alisha Erozer) All season long, Dr. Gamelli (An amazing Luke Kirby) has been skeptical of Macchiarini's process. He's in charge of post-op, so he's left dealing with the aftermath of these operations. None as shocking as Yesim's, who visits the doctor for a consultation, and ends up with her lung removed after she loses oxygen during a routine scope. What follows is 191 surgeries as her body essentially rots from the inside out. It's hard to watch. Yesim Cetir was a real person and I can barely comprehend what she went through. Erozer plays her with so much promise and scene by scene she breaks down further, until she's a shell of her former self. I was not prepared for this episode and the emotional weight it would have on me. I've been thinking of Yesim nonstop every since.

I can't recommend this show enough. While not all of it is perfect - Mandy Moore's journalist character, while necessary to the story was just not nearly as compelling as Kirby, Ashley Madekwe, and Gustaf Hammarstan were in their roles as doctors. It's absolutely worth the watch. Even if you just get a month of Peacock to binge it. 


Fargo -
I hated season 4 of this show, but season 5 has been making up for that. Juno Temple steps into the starring role, Joe Keery is no longer lovable Steve and Jon Hamm finally plays someone very un-Jon Hamm like. His character is the absolute worst and I really hope he gets his comeuppance in the finale. It's nice to have this show feel compelling again. I missed that the last time around.



What If... -
This show is pure fun for any MCU fan. Captain Peggy Carter took center stage this season as she featured in multiple episodes, which was fine by me. And my girl Wanda even got some screen time! My biggest complaint was the voice actress they had playing Gamora. She sounded nothing like Zoe and it was completely distracting. 

Comments

  1. The 2nd season of What If... is awesome. I want more of Peggy Carter hanging out with Natasha. Plus, there needs to be an episode of Peggy, Natasha, Wanda, and other female characters just hanging out and kicking ass. I hope they get Florence Pugh to do voice work as Yelena as I love that character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I binged the latest What If...? season on January 1st. Loved all of the Captain Carter in it, and also a fan of who they made the big bad in the last episode.

    I'm constantly surprised at how many of the actual actors they get to do the voiceover work. There are only a few that didn't participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like when they get the actual actors. It makes me think they have a deeper love for their character.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum