Review: Ferrari


Official synopsis:
 Set in the summer of 1957, with Enzo Ferrari's (Adam Driver) auto empire in crisis, the ex-racer turned entrepreneur pushes himself and his drivers to the edge as they launch into the Mille Miglia, a treacherous 1,000-mile race across Italy.

I don't know anything about cars or racing. Had Adam Driver not been starring in this, I wouldn't have made it a theater watch. But there I was, ass in seat, and enjoying the world director Michael Mann created. 

Not knowing much about Ferrari himself helped. I'm sure those who follow knew what tragedies were coming, but for me it was all fresh. The racing scenes especially were very well directed. 

Driver is great, and he has excellent chemistry with Penelope Cruz, who plays his ex-wife Laura. Or rather, his current wife whom he's cheating on extensively with Lina (Shailene Woodley, in the most tragic accent since Kevin Costner in Robin Hood)

If a non-car person like me can enjoy this, I imagine fans of racing will dig it too. There's a few distracting choices of crash dummies, but from a technical standpoint the film is very strong.

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. I ha e to check it put. If they are racing along the Amalfi Coast, I bet there are a few crashes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was supposed to go see this last weekend but I've been dealing with the cold as I ended up staying home as I'm going to try for this week as I want to see it not just because of the subject matter but mainly for Michael Mann whose films I do love. After this, there's only 3 films of his to watch for the Auteurs series as they're all available on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I hope you feel better soon! I think you'll like this.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum