DVD Review: Mad Max: Fury Road

Get hype.

I finally gave in and watched this. I saw the previews and immediately wrote it off as something that probably wouldn't interest me. My husband actually went to see it without me. He loved it. The bloggersphere loved it. So I knew I had to give it a shot.

Max (Tom Hardy) is a drifter who is captured and turned into a "blood bag" for a War Boy named Nux. (Nicholas Hoult) At the same time, Furiosa (Charlize Theron) decides to run away from the ruler of the Citadel, Immortan Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne) with a group of women he uses as his "breeders." They have a long road ahead of them, and Joe and his people are hot on their tail. Max get's pulled in because well...he's a blood bag. 

For a film that's essentially an extended car chase scene, it really works. I wish I could've been in the writer's head when he thought "OMG I'm going to have this guy whose only purpose is to play the guitar and sometimes fire will shot out of it." It's just over the top and fun. It's easily one of the best action movies I've seen in awhile. (right up there with Kingsman: Secret Service) But the best part of the film is the women. Furiosa is a strong leader and the group of women she saves grow into that position of well. It's just nice for a film to have all these badass girls together. 

The ending made me a little sad, though they set it up for possible sequels. Highlight for spoiler *I just wanted Furiosa and Max to stay and be BFF's. I didn't want Max to leave.*

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "WITNESS ME!" - Nux (Nicholas Hoult)

Comments

  1. I was dragged kicking and screaming (almost) to see this in the cinema and loved it in the end. Really glad you enjoyed it! That guitar playing guy is just amazing, haha.
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I was like "No way am I seeing that." The the bloggersphere changed my mind and I'm so glad it did.

      Delete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it. It's just balls-to-the-wall fun. And guitar dude fit so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guitar dude deserves the best original screenplay nomination. Just guitar dude.

      Delete
  3. I think you and I rate action films the same way. I couldn't help but like this, and I've never seen the original(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the originals either, I don't really care too.

      Delete
  4. Fucking love this film. It is everything I want in a blockbuster action film times 11. Most of all, it had something to say and women that are treated like real people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yessss Furiosa! lol "an extended car chase scene"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few big films left to see, but it's still my #1 of last year. Loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems it was a lot of people's favorites. I didn't love it as much as some, but it's such a fun film.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum