Review: Brooklyn

Small town woes.

Eilis (Saoirse Ronan) is a young woman from Ireland who is moving to Brooklyn after her sister Rose (Fiona Glasscot) has arraigned passage for her. Eilis is good with figures, but for some reason can't land a job outside of working for a terrible woman at a grocery store. Rose thinks she'll have a better life in Brooklyn. While Eilis has a hard time at first, she meets Tony, (Emery Cohen)an Italian boy who falls in love with. When a tragedy causes her to go back to Ireland for a month long visit, she catches the eye of Jim (Domhnall Gleeson) and begins to wonder if maybe she should stay in Ireland.

I read the book last week and the film is a very close adaptation. The only "big" things that stood out was that Eilis no longer has brothers and we don't get the see her meet Jim before she leaves Ireland in the first place. (more on that later) A few other things, like when she went to a baseball game with Tony are said, but not seen.

I love what this film did with color. When Eilis is first leaving Ireland, then heads to New York, it's very dreary with grey tones. The only color that stands out is her green pea coat. Then when things start looking better for her, and when she meets Tony, suddenly things are brighter, the colors more vivid. When she returns to Ireland, even after what's happen the color pallet stays bright, almost like a dream. Like she's seeing Ireland in a different way than she did when she left.

Speaking of dreams, Saoirse Ronan is one in this film. She's brilliant and says so much with just her face. I love Eilis as a character because I felt like I could relate to her. She's very shy, yet quietly a smart ass. She's torn between a few things, but is reasonable and works it out. Ronan really brought out those emotions well. The rest of the cast was perfect compared to the novel. I thought they sugar coated Jim a bit. I wasn't crazy about not having that first meeting with Eilis where he's a total dick. He also gets more time in the film then he did in the book. (At least it felt that way to me) I really loved how Tony, Mrs. Keho and her fellow boarders were portrayed. They were perfect. The end of the film is slightly different then the book, but I actually think it works better and really rounds out this perfect little love story.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "Holy shit." - Tony (Emory Cohen)

Comments

  1. I have not heard of this film but it sounds interesting and I always like it when colour is used to enhance the film

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely, I think it could be a classic some day. It's a very close adaptation of the book too, which I can always appreciate.

      Delete
  2. Lovely review! I LOVE this film and Saoirse's performance and I also have a bit of crush on Emery as Tony. You're so right about the color thing, it's so subtle but brilliant. I love how such a simple story can be told in such a poignant and emotional way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree, the story was very simple but still spoke so much to me. Being from a really small town that I didn't like, I really felt like I got in the mindset of Eilis during the film's final act.

      Delete
  3. Hearing a lot of good things about this one, so I am looking forward to seeing it. I've liked Ronan in everything I've seen her in, so I'm glad she was good, here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's always good. I've been in her corner ever since I saw her in Atonement. I've yet tonsee her give a bad performance.

      Delete
  4. This film was just lovely, and Ronan gave a beautiful performance. Glad you loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Ronan would win Best Actress, but it's Brie's year, which I'm fine with too. I just preferred Ronan.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum