Review: Room

He's not our friend.

Jack (Jacob Tremblay) just turned five years old. He wakes up in Room, the place he lives with Ma. (Brie Larson) He greats his sink, wardrobe, rug, all he knows is Room. Ma has chosen to tell him that Room is all there is, and nothing exists outside of it. Only she did, Ma was kidnapped when she was seventeen and has been imprisoned in a man named Old Nick's (Sean Bridgers) shed for seven years. She finally tells Jack there's more to the world than just Room, and she sets Jack up for an elaborate escape. But things aren't easy, and getting used to the world as it is now isn't going to be a cake walk for either of them.

I suppose it goes without saying that I ugly cried in this. More than once. Actually, I probably devoted one hour of the two hour run time to scrunching my face up and using my scarf as a tissue. I reached the point that I like to call "Internal discussion ugly cry." I kept telling myself "you didn't cry when you read the book." Of course, my track record for this is about 1/100 and on I went. At least other people were audibly sobbing with me.

After I finished the book, I immediately thought it would make a better film, and it did. I'm okay with the things they trimmed, and I thought the film, while still a very slow burn had a good flow to it. It's shot beautifully and so true to Jack, who is seeing things that are normal to us for the first time. Watching him see the sky, a dog, while it all sounds simple, is very profound.

Brie Larson is getting a lot of buzz for this role, and rightfully show. She's amazing, the power she has when she simply whispers two words (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've seen it) is breathtaking , but she shares that prestige with Jacob Tremblay. This remarkable young actor is the star of this, and deserves an Oscar nomination. (Though apparently he's being campaigned as supporting, which is ridiculous, but tis the season for category fraud.) What he does at his age is so amazing. It's just A+ casting for both of them. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "What, are you upset that I'm not nice anymore?" Ma - Brie Larson

Comments

  1. I FINALLY saw this this weekend and probably ugly-cried just as much as you did lol. And I read the book, too! But I was in tears for pretty much the entire escape sequence, and multiple moments thereafter.

    I was really impressed with the screenplay, too. They could have kept a bit more of the stuff from the second half of the book, but what they included was such a good distillation of that that I can't really complain.

    I wasn't so high on Jacob Tremblay's performance, though. It's good, but not an all-time-great child performance. The few moments that didn't feel "directed" felt really flat to me. It did nothing to diminish the film, though. Best of the year so far, easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is one of the best child performances I've ever seen. He really sold it as being a child who has only interacted with his mother for 5 years. They were wise to have him cover his face while he cried though, the actor must not have that down. That's the only time anything felt "directed" to me.

      Delete
  2. I will NOT be able to handle this movie in the least. But, I look forward to trying anyway.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you a crier? If not, you will be. lol

      Delete
    2. I'm a huge crier. Like, embarassingly so. (Can't wait)

      Delete
    3. I spaced on whether or not you were or not. Although I'm sure people who don't normally cry in films cried in this one too. It was heavy.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Britt, I know that whisper, and that shit was powerful. Larson really is great here. I hope she takes the Oscar. Love that this worked even better than the book, like you'd hoped. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes that whisper, SO powerful. Almost too powerful. I hate when I'm still crying when the lights come on.

      Delete
  4. I saw this as one of 2 films for my b-day more than a week-ago. The other film was Spotlight. I too cried during that film and yeah, I think it was an ugly cry for about an hour. I don't think I was the only one crying during that film. Yeah, it's a real punch to the gut that film but well worth it. Especially for Larson and Tremblay who deserves some serious accolades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of people in my theater sobbing, (and it was such a small theater so we're all shoved together) so that made it a little easier.

      Delete
  5. I cannot wait to see this one. I will probably cry the entire time :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be alone lol. I hope this opens near you soon.

      Delete
  6. I have yet to read the book but I'm looking forward to watching this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cry at everything, and this didn't make me cry. I think I need therapy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got my screening for this one booked in the middle of January (some smaller films take their time getting to us down here) - can't wait to see it though, I've only heard great things! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you Aussies get screwed with release dates :( I hope you enjoy it when it comes to you!

      Delete
  9. I thought it was very good cant say I loved it as much as you.
    Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay were both incredible. Larson absolutely deserves an Oscar for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think Saoirse might win over her, but either would be worthy.

      Delete
  10. It's SO good. I'm glad it managed to get in Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars, but I wish Tremblay had been nominated as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. he deserved it wayyyyy more than the supporting nods that are there, imo.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum