Quick Reviews Courtesy of Netflix

These last few months have been....something. Thankfully, Netflix has been there for me on both the streaming and DVD side.



Deep Red - For someone who counts Suspiria as one of their all time favorite movies, I haven't seen any other Dario Argento movie. I decided to fix that starting with Deep Red. I really liked it. I liked the aesthetic and enjoyed the "whodunit" part of the mystery, even if the killer ended up being a bit of a stretch at the end. B


Eli - For a Netflix horror film, this was actually pretty decent. It's very basic but it didn't end the way most horror films telling that story would have. I appreciated that. C+


High Life - This is easily one of the worst films I've seen this year. It's less of a science fiction film and more about a study on sex. Robert Pattinson is not a compelling lead. I know the internet is obsessed with him right now but I find him to be pretty mediocre. The only decent thing is Mia Goth and Juliette Binoche. They try. D


Porto- What a waste of Anton Yelchin. It's so obvious a dude made this movie. The sex scene was all about lingering on the woman and only showed Yelchin's back. C-


Izzy Gets The Fuck Across Town - This was enjoyable enough until the ending. Izzy is such a trainwreck, she treats everyone like shit, and I kept hoping the end of this film would be her getting her much needed reality check but it essentially justifies her bad behavior in a way. Ultimately even a few days later, this film is very forgettable. C-

Comments

  1. I kind of dismissed Eli but I'm so curious about that ending. It can't be worse than Wounds so I'm going to give it a go next week I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like so many demon child movies all end the exact same way, so I appreciate that this one didn't.

      Delete
  2. I still want to see High Life despite the fact that I haven't seen anything by Claire Denis. I also want to see Deep Red as Argento in the 70s was considered him in his prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of Denis' other work either. I'd still be willing to give her a chance, I Just think the narrative in this film didn't work.

      Delete
  3. High Life sounds so damn awful i don't think I'll even give this a shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts off so boring then when the flashbacks start it's just bonkers and I did not have a good time. lol

      Delete
  4. Glad you liked Deep Red, a stronger story than Suspiria. You can't go wrong with Dario Argento from the 70s and 80s. He lost the magic in the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Structure wise yes, I agree it's stronger in that aspect. It lacks the beauty of Suspiria. I really want to check out more of his work, I'll keep in mind to stick to the earlier decades.

      Delete
  5. I'll need to check out Deep Red. The others ones feel very meh to me. But guh, I miss Anton Yelchin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. He was so talented. Makes me sad every time.

      Delete
  6. Netflix hasn't been treating you well it seems.. I'm the saddest about High Life. I haven't watched it yet because I did hear bad reviews here and there but part of me really wants to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fucking terrible but maybe you will be in a better mood for it? I don't know. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum