Review: Frozen II

Don't let it go, come back.
A few years have passed since we last left Elsa, (Idina Menzel) Anna, (Kristen Bell) Kristof, (Jonathon Groff) and Olaf. (Josh Gad) While everything is running smoothly in Arendelle and Anna is determined to make up for lost time with her sister, Elsa is hearing voices that are calling her far away to an enchanted forest their parents told them about when they were children.

I chose the Captain Marvel banner for Dell's Girl Week to talk about the ladies in this film because Elsa is a super hero at this point. She's permafrosted Olaf and she can form ice into anything she wants now. I found Elsa's journey in this film to be far more interesting this time around. Instead of running, she's looking for her purpose. Anna is the one the fairs a little worse, she's obsessed with her sister to the point where it's kind of annoying, but it does lead up to her best song - Next Right Thing - so all is forgiven at the end. 

In true Frozen fashion, some of the plot points are horrendously stupid. It's easy to overlook them with the music. You can tell the new songs were written so that the vocalists could show off more. I really liked Into The Unknown and Show Yourself. While they feel a bit derivative of Let It Go, the music is gorgeous and they are extremely catch. Evan Rachel Wood is a nice addition as Anna and Elsa's mother in a flashback. I've always enjoyed her singing voice so I was happy to hear her again. 

The most surprising thing for me personally was that I actually liked Olaf's song When I Grow Up. I normally cannot stand him, and I still haven't recovered from that horror story of a short that was in front of Coco, but that song was pretty funny.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the original so I ended up preferring this one. When I asked my son what he thought, he also said he liked this one better because there were more subplots. (Though that was a word I had to teach him, he described it as "like when you play a video game and you get a bonus level")

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B-

Memorable Quote: "This is fine." - Olaf (Josh Gad)

Comments

  1. Nice review! It's a shame that Frozen II didn't learn from Frozen. If the first movie had reigned in those singing rock troll things, I would've loved it rather than liked it. The return of silly plots is making me sit this is one out for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many convenient plot points that it just drives me insane, especially compared to other animated films that somehow don't make theirs seem nearly as stupid.

      Delete
  2. The first half of the original frozen was quite magnificent but then it lost its way in the second half (although the happy ending was quite magical obviously). What i liked about Frozen II, and why i thought it was superior to the first movie, was that its magnificent all the way through with no hic-cups at all, i`d have given it an A rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think this film is stronger, but there are a few massively stupid things with the plot that I just can't ignore to give a higher rating. HTTYD 3 is still the best animated film for me this year.

      Delete
  3. I'll probably wait for it on Disney + (if my sister chooses to keep it) as ERW is my only reason to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Evan, she has the first song in the film, then sings again later on.

      Delete
  4. The original Wiggles were inducted into the LIMA licensing hall of fame 💛🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have to see Frozen and I hate that song “Let It Go”. I also just wanted Olaf to become a puddle. I may give both a try in the new year...we shall see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted that for Olaf too. I was shocked that I liked his song. I wouldn't listen to it again or anything, but I chuckled.

      Delete
  6. Your sons's explanation for the word subplot needs to be made official, it's perfect!
    I feel like a jerk for not totally loving Frozen 2. I liked it loads, but so many things annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel like a jerk, there were a lot of massively stupid things about it lol.

      Delete
  7. I'm seeing so many people either hate on this movie or giving it meh reactions, so I'm glad to see you actually liked this one, despite not being a big fan of the first. Nice review, Brittani. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum