Review: Jojo Rabbit

Run, little rabbit.

Jojo (Roman Griffin Davis) is a 10 year old fanatic joining a Hitler Youth camp in Germany. He tries to be devout, but he's awkward and scared. He also sees Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi) as an imaginary friend. His world views are challenged when he finds out his mother, (Scarlett Johnasson) is hiding a Jewish girl, Elsa (Thomasin Mackenzie) in their home.

This has been one of my most anticipated films of the year. I love Taika Waititi, everything he does is so much fun but making a satire about Nazis was a risky move. Thankfully, it paid off as this is easily one of the best films I've seen all year. 

Roman Griffin Davis is an extraordinary young actor. Jojo is such a vulnerable character and even though he's spouting off some terrible nonsense, you realize he's a product of his environment. His mother tries to change that, and I loved their scenes together. They were so warm and sweet and of course being a mother to a son myself made me even more sappy about it. 

The comedy was wonderful, this film keeps you laughing then absolutely punches you in the gut. Then after you've sat with the harsh reality for a bit, it gives you a few more chuckles and ends on a lovely note. It also has probably one of the best uses of a PG-13 "fuck" ever in film.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A+

Memorable Quote: "I need a cuddle." - Yorki (Archie Yates)

Comments

  1. It's not possible for me to be any more excited for this movie than I am already. I only need to see Taika's name on something and I'm sold. I'm so, so glad this movie is living up to the hype!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I've only disliked one of his films (Eagle vs Shark) everything else has been a hit for me.

      Delete
    2. SAME to both of you. I coudln't agree with Allie more, but then I see you disliking EvS and I'm nodding along like an asshole.

      So ready for this one, it's killing me.

      Delete
    3. EvS reminded me so much of Napoleon Dynamite, that was always my biggest issue with it. But I hope you get to see this soon!

      Delete
  2. I'll give this a shot for Rockwell but the combination of smug Taika and that pedolunching disgrace may be too much for me to ignore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat smug Taika? I love that dude. lol. I think you'll like Rockwell in it.

      Delete
    2. Every time I see him I remember that thing in South Park about being smug and smelling one own's farts 😅

      Delete
  3. I do want to see this since my mom was a child in Germany during the 1930s. I know she was a 6 and 7 yrs old kid who enjoyed singing, camp fires and learning to be prepared but she also got into trouble by not saluting the way they wanted( she would just raise the lower part of her arm quickly and say "Hightler"). Later on, she never liked the boyscouts as it reminded her of the Hitler youth. I wonder what she would think of this film and I can't wait to see it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family has the same opinion on boy scouts. I have some relatives that were also forced to do that, but I've never met them.

      Delete
  4. =[ You guys are so lucky. I wqant to see this movie so bad. Taika is from New Zealand but we get this movie months after you!! GRRR

    This sounds like a riot. I can't wait till it finally comes out here, I'll be there on the first day! That premise alone is hilarious, and he has already made two hilarious comedies. I wish I could fast forward time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ridiculous, you'd think your side of the Earth would get it first assuming he's that national treasure to New Zealand like I think he is. lol

      Delete
  5. I was hoping to see it last weekend along with Parasite but I was too tired as I'm going to try later this weekend (though Parasite will be gone by then). Plus, I love Taika and is eager to see what Scar-Jo 3:16 does in the film.

    I also heard the kid Yorki is a total riot in this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG He's so funny, I should've mentioned him. I love that kid.

      Delete
  6. Great review, I'm happy to see it delivers. I'm also curious to watch it because I just found out that the cinematographer is Romanian (Mihai Malaimare Jr.), so national pride is strong :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, I didn't know that. It is shot very well.

      Delete
  7. Nice review! Even though Thor: Ragnarok did nothing for me, I'll still see anything with Taika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ragnarok is one of my favorite Marvel films so I ate this up. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum