2021 Screen Actors Guild Winners

Well that was the quickest award show ever. Clocking in at exactly one hour, I went 9/13 with my picks! I got 2 movie picks wrong and 1 TV pick wrong. The lone skit of the night was an opener with the Ted Lasso cast which I thought was perfect. I liked how they handled the rest of it, minus Jimmy Fallon. I have no idea why he was there. There were so many other choices. Below are the list of the winners + my thoughts!

Cast in a Motion Picture
“Da 5 Bloods”
“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
“Minari”
“One Night In Miami”
“Trial of the Chicago 7”
I feel like the only person on Twitter that loved this movie. No one is excited for this win (though to be honest, I would've been happy for any of these films. I thought Minari had a good chance of winning) but I really liked Trial. I'm happy for it. 

Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Riz Ahmed (“Sound of Metal”)
Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
Anthony Hopkins (“The Father”)
Gary Oldman (“Mank”)
Steven Yeun (“Minari”)
Chadwick's wife once again gave a lovely acceptance speech on his behalf. He's on his way to that deserved Oscar

Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Amy Adams (“Hillbilly Elegy”)
Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)
Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)
Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)
Viola winning is crazy. Not that she doesn't deserve it, she was great as Ma Rainey, but who the hell is winning this Oscar? I love not knowing. Only Frances and Vanessa are nominated for BAFTAs, so that means going into the Oscar, a different person has won every major precursor. That's pretty amazing. For how much love Promising Young Woman has gotten, it's a little strange that no one but the Critics Choice actually want to award Carey Mulligan for it. 

Male Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Sacha Baron Cohen (“The Trial of the Chicago 7”)
Chadwick Boseman (“Da 5 Bloods”_
Daniel Kaluuya (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)
Jared Leto (“The Little Things”)
Leslie Odom, Jr. (“One Night in Miami”)
He slayed on SNL last night and I'm glad he took home this award too! I loved that he was wearing fancy silk pajamas too. That's what I would be doing for these.

Female Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Maria Bakalova (“Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”)
Glenn Close (“Hillbilly Elegy”)
Olivia Colman (“The Father”)
Youn Yuh-Jung (“Minari”)
Helena Zengel (“News of the World”)
I'm just so glad Close didn't win this. While I was rooting for Maria, I'm so happy for Yuh-Jung, she was amazing in Minari. I honestly don't know whose winning the Oscar in this category either. 

Ensemble in a Drama Series
“Better Call Saul”
“Bridgerton”
“The Crown”
“Ozark”
“Lovecraft Country”
A nice send off for the second cast of The Crown. I'm looking forward to seeing how the 3rd cast handles it. 

Male Actor in a Drama Series
Jason Bateman, “Ozark”
Sterling K. Brown, “This Is Us”
Josh O’Connor, “The Crown”
Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”
Rege-Jean Page, “Bridgerton”
I got this wrong. I really need to go back and finish Ozark.

Female Actor in a Drama Series
Gillian Anderson, “The Crown”
Olivia Colman, “The Crown”
Emma Corrin, “The Crown”
Julia Garner, “Ozark”
Laura Linney, “Ozark”
No one but Gillian was going to win this. I had to laugh how she said she shares this award with Emma because Olivia has already won everything under the sun.

Ensemble in a Comedy Series
“Dead to Me”
“The Flight Attendant”
“The Great”
“Schitt’s Creek”
“Ted Lasso”
One say, I'll watch Schitt's Creek. Until then I'll be bummed for Ted Lasso.

Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Nicholas Hoult, “The Great”
Dan Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”
Eugene Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”
Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”
Ramy Youssef, “Ramy”
I love that Sudeikis keeps winning. Ted Lasso is so wholesome. I just adore that performance. 

Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, “Dead to Me”
Linda Cardellini, “Dead to Me”
Kaley Cuoco, “The Flight Attendant”
Annie Murphy, “Schitt’s Creek”
Catherine O’Hara, “Schitt’s Creek
Another sure thing.

Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Bill Camp, “The Queen’s Gambit”
Daveed Diggs, “Hamilton”
Hugh Grant, “The Undoing”
Ethan Hawke, “The Good Lord Bird”
Mark Ruffalo, “I Know This Much Is True”
This is Ruffalo's last win for this role (I think) and I will never stop raving about how good he was here.

Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Cate Blanchett, “Mrs. America”
Michaela Coel, “I May Destroy You”
Nicole Kidman, “The Undoing”
Anya Taylor-Joy, “The Queen’s Gambit”
Kerry Washington, “Little Fires Everywhere”
Anya wins again. In my heart Michaela did. I loved all five of these performances.

Comments

  1. I'm just happy Glenn Close didn't win. I hope she gets that Razzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. I hate that performance (and movie) so much.

      Delete
  2. happy it was a short one too lol! i am still very meh on judas and the black messiah, happy for all things minari, haven't even seen trial of the chicago 7, happy for viola davis and her transformative performance, mark ruffalo was soooo good here, i could not get into ted lasso, and i may destroy you should win against everything it's up against, easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judas wasn't the greatest but I love Daniel so him winning makes me happy. I had a couple issues with Trial but I like courtroom dramas and Sorkin's dialogue so it just really worked for me as whole.

      I May Destroy You better clean house at the Emmys next year because it's what it deserves.

      Delete
  3. I want to see that Glenn Close movie just to see why everyone hates it. I didn’t watch this but I’m amazed at how fast it went. Maybe the Oscars will only be a1/2 hr long.....hahahaaa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't put yourself through Hillbilly Elegy it's so bad lol

      Delete
  4. Schitt's Creek ended so it's nice it got a win, Ted Lasso can win next year when it comes back as amazing as ever!

    I just recently rewatched the entire three seasons of Ozark (s1 for third time, s2 for second time, season 3 for the second time as well) and I'm happy for it. It's so strong and it's ending with 4 which means it will remain amazing and won't let itself drag on.

    I liked Trial of 7... I'm not raving about it but I liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't make it through the first season of Ozark but I feel like it deserves a second chance. Schitt's Creek I need to start too

      Delete
  5. The female actor categories are the most fun this year! I'm excited to see who gets the Oscar but on the other hand I'm sure the Academy somehow won't be the least bit surprising :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that we have an actual race this year. That rarely happens.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum