Review: Godzilla vs Kong


While Godzilla has left the world in peace since the events of King of the Monsters, he unexpectedly attacks an Apex Cybernetics facility off the cost of Florida. An employee and conspiracy podcast Bernie (Brian Tyree Henry) seeks to find out way. On the other side of the world, Ilene (Rebecca Hall) is studying Kong on the Skull Island facility but wishes he could have more space. A scientist, Nathan (Alexander SkarsgÄrd) is given an opportunity to visit the Earth's core by Apex and he needs Kong to lead the way. But Kong out of his safe zone means Godzilla has another titan to conquer in his request for dominance.

All I wanted was a dumb action movie with monsters fighting, and that's exactly what I received. I didn't care for King of the Monsters as much as I wanted to because the human stories did not interest me and that makes for a dull movie in between the CGI spectacle. Here, I was actually interested in the human's stories. Even Madison (Millie Bobby Brown) who I could not have cared less for in the previous film was better utilized as part of Brian Tyree Henry's story.

What makes this film work better is that Kong is essentially the main character. He has a personality, a way of communication, and even though I went into this film full #TeamGodzilla I couldn't help but root for Kong's freedom. They also did a really minor thing that I absolutely love. Slightly spoiler-y, but not in the grand scheme of things. When they needed a big machine to be taken offline. They don't turn their teenagers into master hackers. They have them fix the problem with literally breaking something, and I loved that. Someone's always a hacker in an action movie and I loved how realistically they handled that specific situation. 

Sure, there's a lot of easy teleportation going on, and a few plot points that are ridiculous, but I had a good time watching this with my family. I wish we could've seen it on the big screen, but that will have to wait for the second dose of the vaccine.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "I'm not used to this, I'm used to pirating movies online!" - Josh (Julian Dennison)

Comments

  1. I really want to see this because it sounds so stupid just like the original. Yes, there is an original which came out in the 1960s. I wish I had the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of fun with this especially seeing it on the big screen with the family. I was a little different with Brown in this one. I thought her story with Henry and Dennison had its moments but was just so absurd. If I counted right they just walked through a global corporation's entire top secret base both in Florida and Hong Kong and only saw two guards until the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, it was really convenient but they were funny so I rolled with it. I especially loved the nonstop tunnel service they got from Florida to Hong Kong. Amazing.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a movie that I would totally see on the big screen having seen none of the recent films in this cinematic universe. Yet, it's more likely I'll watch when it's on HBO as I'm going to be vaccinated this coming Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum