Review: Blow The Man Down


After the death of their mother, Mary Beth (Morgan Sayler) and Priscilla (Sophie Lowe) are just trying to move on with their lives when a deadly run in results in them trying to cover up a serious crime. In doing so, they mix themselves up in their quiet Maine town's underground criminal activity. 

I first heard of this when the Independent Spirit Award Nominations were announced and writer/directors Bridget Savage Cole and Danielle Krudy received a Best First Screenplay nomination. Luckily, it was available on Amazon Prime, so I gave it a watch. And I have....thoughts.

I really wanted to like this movie. I enjoyed the atmosphere and how cold and unforgiving everything felt, but the script was just trying to do too much. What I described in my brief synopsis is the main story, but it's not all of it. There's a few other side stories that attempt to weave together with the main one but they never quite click. At times, I wish I was watching an expansion of one of those stories vs the main one.

The best part of this film is the wonderful Margo Martindale who always gives solid performances. Everyone else (minus June Scquibb in a small part) feels very, very green, and while that works with the tone, Margo is clearly the star here. The best scenes always have her in them.

While I'm disappointed I didn't love this more, I think everyone involved has a bright future and I'm curious to see what comes next.

Recommended: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "I lost control." -  Mary Beth (Morgan Sayler) 

Comments

  1. I think I heard about this film but don't remember if it came out or had any buzz about it. I'll probably check it out if it's on TV.

    What the fuck did Zac Efron do to himself? He was beautiful for a dude.... This makes me sad.

    Sam Wilson may not be Steve Rogers but I will call him Captain America because like Rogers, they're both good men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. I read he broke his jaw so I suppose surgery from that could've made his face different? I'm not sure.

      Sam looked great in his Cap uniform! I'm ready for him to take up the mantel.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh what a shame! The premise of this one sounds like it should have been brilliant :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda missed Independent Spirit Award this year, just haven't seen so many films nominated. I love Margo Martindale but hmmmm, sounds like this isn't worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I had actually seen quite a few of them, last year I was scrambling to find some before the awards went out. It's worth a watch for Margo but it's just not the greatest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum