Thursday Movie Picks: Oscar Edition - Best Animated Film

 

It's another Oscar theme over at Wandering Through The Shelves and this week we're talking about Best Animated Feature! This is a category it took them way to long to start, and they don't always get it right, but here are three of my favorite wins.


1) Spirited Away -
This is one of my all time favorite movies, and it's honestly been slowly inching its way up to my number one pick the last few years. It's hard to explain, but I just adore this movie. I love the story, the characters, the dark undertones, and the beautiful animation. It turned me into somewhat of a Studio Ghibli stan.


2) WALL-E -
I've mentioned this before about WALL-E, but when I saw this for the first time, I actually thought to myself "Wow, look how far animation has come." It's such a fun story and it's strikingly beautiful to watch. 


3) Zootopia -
This film holds a special place in my heart because of my son. He was 5 when this movie came out, we took him to it in theaters having only seen that DMV teaser so we didn't know what the film was about. He left for the first time with a ton of questions. I loved it as a parent, to see him thinking deeply about a movie for the first time instead of just enjoying it on the surface, and it was a great teachable moment about classism and kindness, and for that, this will always be one of my favorite wins. 

Comments

  1. We share a pick with Spirited Away as I kind of went on a theme-within-a-theme approach as I wanted to avoid Disney/Pixar. WALL-E.... I love that film. That shot brings a tear to my eye every time I see it. I still need to see Zootopia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avoiding them is a good choice because they often win for things that truly don't deserve it. Zootopia is great though, I hope you like it.

      Delete
  2. In what I'm sure will be a zero surprise statement from me I've heard of all of these and seen none.

    Animation is just not for me, though I have my sentimental faves-101 Dalmations, both The Rescuers movies, Snow White and a few others-but the ONLY winner in this category that I was a fan of was Up-a lovely film-so I'm sitting this week out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you would participate in this or not. Well, you've heard me say it before, but I 100% recommend Spirited Away. It's such a wonderful film, even if you don't love animation. I hope you give it a shot one day! (and don't kill me if you hate it)

      Delete
  3. I get the love for Zootopia, but from that year, my heart will always belong to Kubo and the Two Strings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The animation in Kubo was outstanding. I enjoyed that too.

      Delete
  4. I still haven't seen Wall-E...I even have the Blu-ray...remember Blu-ray :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum