Review: Free Skate


A Russian figure skater (Veera W. Vilo, who also penned the screenplay) is found unconscious on the side of the road in Finland. Her grandmother (Leena Otila) whom she hasn't seen in years takes her in and helps her establish a new life there, free from the abuse she suffered before.

Vilo wrote the script based on experiences she and other friends had as competitive gymnasts. Her intention is to bring to light the unfortunate connection between female sports and human trafficking. Choosing ice skating as her medium feels very relevant. We're not that far removed from the drama that went on during the winter Olympics with the Russian team. 

She carries the film well. The skater (none of the characters have names) has clearly been through a lot, and now she's in a new country where she doesn't fully grasp the language. She's met with patience and compassion, which we see with juxtaposition against the horrid abuse she experienced before. Leena Otila radiates warmth as her grandmother and we know immediately she's in good hands.

I will say, this feels very much like a first feature even though it's technically director Roope Olenius' second. It lacks some technical elements that would've made this most polished. Better scene transitions, fight choreography and staging, background actor suggestions, etc. I thought the characters could've been fleshed out more as well. The fact that they were not even given names shows this was more an intriguing idea than it is a well rounded screenplay. All the Russians feel like caricatures, and because of that the 3rd act feels very messy.

Still, we all have to start somewhere, right? I appreciate what Vilo and co tried to do with what they had here. It's a solid start and I haven't seen many Finnish films, so I'm happy I got the chance to see this one.

Free Skate will have a limited release in U.S theaters on January 27th, then will be available digitally on February 27th.

Comments

  1. This looks interesting. I might check this out. I have seen a few Finnish films by Aki Kaurismaki as I hope to see more of his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it when you get the chance! I realized looking at my letterboxd this might be the first completely Finnish film I've seen. The other ones I have logged were all joint productions along with other countries.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen very many Finnish films either, but a movie about figure skating sounds intriguing. Sounds like it could've been more polished but I might give it a shot once it's available to watch on streaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's out on VOD now, so hopefully streaming isn't too far off!

      Delete
  3. Despite living in Finland, I havent seen that many Finnish films but would recommend Jos Rakastat (If you love ), its a fabulous Finnish musical written by an expat. (There is a review on my blog if you want to learn more). Got Free Skate on the review pile atm, so was happy to read your take on it. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you review Free Skate as well! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Definitely going to check out Jos Rakastat as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum