Review: M3GAN


The future of toys is M3GAN (Amie Donald) a robotic friend that Gemma (Allison Williams) has been building, much to her boss' chagrin. When her neice Cady (Violet McGraw) is orphaned in a car crash, and goes to live with her, she sees this as the perfect opportunity to test out M3GAN again...to disastrous results. 

We all saw the M3GAN trailer. That creepy little doll dance hooked millions, including me. Here I am paying theater money to see CAMP, HONEY!

With the correct expectations (dumb fun) M3GAN is a blast. It knows that its ridiculous and that's what you're here for, and it as least has the courtesy to put together an interesting story for everything else in between. I do think it could've used an R rating to up the B movie gore. I get why they went the PG-13 route, but I think an R would've been better.

What I didn't expect was to actually be invested in the questions the movie is asking. After Gemma explains that M3GAN can do everything from teach to reach bedtime stories, her colleague Tess (Jen Van Epps) inquires "What's the point of parents?" and I thought that was interesting in the scope of how advanced AI is getting. iPads already get called "babysitters" after all.

We're about to fall into January release hell so you might as well go to the theater and enjoy something. That's what this is for.

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. I haven't heard of this and don't think I'll see it but nothing replaces a hug from mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing you haven't heard of it. It's EVERYWHERE on Twitter.

      Delete
    2. Well, I’m not on Twitter...hahahaaa

      Delete
  2. I heard this is one of those films where once don't take it seriously. It has more than enough scares and laughs to be entertaining. I'm more interested in the R-rated cut of the film as I want to see some of that gory violence. Plus, I love the marketing strategy they put.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind seeing an R cut either because it's not very scary at all. Definitely more of a comedy.

      Delete
  3. This looks a lot like a revamped Child's Play. I say that not as a complaint but as a statement of fact, and even if it goes in a completely different direction, the filmmakers had to know that that comparison was going to be made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they expect it. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a M3GAN vs Chucky film in the future a la Freddy vs Jason.

      Delete
  4. I thought it was fine but was a little bummed with home tame it was. I was sooo focused on being PG-13 that the kills (what few there were) weren't that memorable. And to me some of the funniest parts were unintentional. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it had an R rating too, they could've done more with it, but I get why they went PG-13

      Delete
  5. I'm too scared to see horror movies involving dolls (was traumatized seeing the 1986 Dolls movie!) but maaaaybe I'll check this one out as it seems funny and Ronny Cheng sold me on it when he was on Kimmel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humor far outweighs the horror in this, so I think you'll be fine! Puppetmaster got me when I was a kid. lol I don't care for dolls either.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum