Review: White Noise


When I was a kid, I lived in a town that was also affected by a train crash. It released ammonia throughout the area. Those who lived in the valley had to rush to high ground with wet washcloths over their mouths. A few days of cancelled school and some sore throats later, everything was back to normal. The characters in White Noise are also affected by a train crash, only it's much more sensational.

Noah Baumbach's movies tend to be hit or miss with me, so I go in with mild expectations. Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig gave me a bit more hope, but in the end, that made the disappointment sting even more.

I hated this movie. The way it grapples with mortality is drawn out and pretentious. No one talks to anyone else like they're a real person and I get that was a conscious choice. The dialogue feels like beat poetry and hits quirky overload. 

Driver, Gerwig and Don Cheadle give fine performances for what the film wants from them, but I guess I wanted something less...annoying.

That's the first word that comes to mind when I think of this movie. "Annoying."

Grade: D

Comments

  1. yeah, it is very pretentious... and terribly written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I like a lot of movies that are considered "pretentious" so when I throw that word around I mean it. lol

      Delete
  2. I tried to listen to tgaf white noise and that alone, is irritating. I don't know what it is about Adam Driver but I find him irritating although, in some movies, he was ok.
    Well, Thursday Movie Picks has gone to BW. But I'm still going to use a theme, either from her previous years( like 2015) or make one up. I decided to pick a theme involving big cats like lions, tigers
    cougars but...no bears...oh my:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Adam Driver! lol. He's beautiful. I'm really going to have to remind myself on TMP. I usually write a bunch in advance and schedule them.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Adam Driver but I agree this movie just did not do it for me at all. It's such an oddball but not in a good way. Driver and Gerwig are good but I think there's a reason why the book had long since been deemed as unfilmable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize this was based off a book. Not that it would've made any difference in me watching it, but yeah..should've left that alone.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping to see this film this month mainly because of Noah Baumbach but... it's based on a book by Don DeLio and the last time someone adapted one of his films came in the form of one of the worst films I had ever seen in Cosmopolis so I'm watching this with very low expectations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum