Indie Gems: Howl

Loud.
 
"Loud" is a good way to describe Howl. It was nothing like I expected it to be.
 
Allen Ginsberg (James Franco) writes a poem that is labeled obscene. Lawrence Ferlinghetti (Andrew Rogers) actually goes on trial for publishing it. The film cuts between animated sequences to describe the poem to us. Was it really that obscene to deserve this kind of treatment?

Howl is one of those films that I remember seeing the trailer for way back when, and stuck it in my Netflix queue when I came across it. Needless to say, I forgot the trailer so when I watched the film I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the somewhat chaotic style it was shot in. It really fit with the fast paced story. I think James Franco is wonderful here and it's clearly one of his best roles to date.

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Let there be honesty." - Jake Ehrilich (John Hamm)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum