DVD Review: Regression

Satanic Panic

Detective Bruce Kenner (Ethan Hawke) is investigating a sex abuse claim by a seventeen year old, Angela (Emma Watson) against her father. (David Dencik) He turns himself in, but he doesn't remember anything. With the help of a psychologist, Kenneth Raines (David Thewlis) they attempt to uncover suppressed memories and soon Angela's story goes beyond a single assault, and turns up satanic rituals.

I was really looking forward to this movie when it was announced. Cults are interesting to me, this sounded up my alley, but I'm also glad I read reviews first to lessen my hype once I saw they were mostly bad.

It's true, this film isn't good. What's frustrating is that it's full of good ideas, but it's poorly executed. It reminded me of an earlier movie this year, The Witch. See, they balanced this slow burn with occasional frightening imagery and pulled it off seamlessly. When Regression attempts to do the same, they completely lose the tone. it's like watching two separate movies. One a police thriller, and the other a bad B movie.

It doesn't help that the acting is truly horrendous. Ethan Hawke, who is normally so reliable completely overreacts at every turn. Emma Watson is wooden as always, but she's actually Goblet of Fire bad here. I didn't think that was possible, but hey, the movie's called Regression. I suppose she can regress back to that time when she was a horrible actress as opposed to a bad one.  I'll give her credit though, her American accent here is much better than it was in Perks of Being a Wallflower.

They got the feel of 90's Satanic Panic down, but not much else. It's truly disappointing.

Recommended: No

Grade: D

Memorable Quote: "I had to have, right?" - John Gray (David Dencik)

Comments

  1. Ohhhhh, how's that burn feel, Hermione? Any magical remedies for that?

    Hahaha...this post is awesome. I actually want to check it out, as I'm all for Hawke's love of overreacting. He truly is a reliable performer, but he's also incredibly down to lose it unnecessarily.

    How the Hell is Watson still playing a 17 year old? Do any real 17 year olds want to be in movies? Or are the too busy being cast as middle schoolers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, I lol'd when they said she was 17 because Watson looks nowhere near it. But they needed her to be a minor because plot.

      If you like Hawke overacting, this is the one for you! lol

      Delete
  2. It's a shame this didn't work -- it sounds like an interesting premise. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm bummed it didn't work out either.

      Delete
  3. Wooden sure - but how were her eyebrows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this was fucking bad. I had hope Alejandro Amenabar would do something but instead. He makes his worst film to date and wasting a hell of a cast. Plus, the way it ends is just fucking stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lowered my expectations after reading your review a while back, and apparently I didn't lower them enough. lol

      Delete
  5. I really rather enjoyed this. I always like watching something that is based on real life. It reminds us how scary the world can be. I'm not a believer in Devil worship, nor do I think it's real, but some do and I can understand why. I'd recommend this to watch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum