Review: Alice Through the Looking Glass

The Hatter's the matter.

Alice (Mia Wasikowska) has just spent the last three years as a sea captain traveling the world. When she returns home, the man she refused to marry in the first time threatens to take her ship in exchange for her mother's house, and give her a measly desk job. While Alice frets over this, she's drawn through the looking glass back into Underland in hopes she can cheer up The Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) who is dying of sadness as he believes his long gone family is now alive, and no one believes him. To help the Hatter, Alice must speak with Time (Sasha Baron Cohen) himself.

I'm one of the few that actually liked 2010's Alice in Wonderland. It wasn't the greatest film out there, but I've always loved the character of Alice and that movie making a billion dollars at the global box office was awesome. It's a shame that nearly all the cards are stacked against it this time around. (Whose idea was this to open it the same weekend as X-Men?)

Alice refusing to be slighted just because she's a woman is empowering. I appreciated that part of her story. I was a bit surprised on how the rest of the movie played out though. Time isn't a villain like the previews portray. He's just kind of an asshole who Alice literally steals from even though he tried to warn her. Then we have the White Queen (Anne Hathaway) having to come to terms with the fact that she's pretty responsible for the Red Queen (Helen Bonham-Carter) being the way she is. So both heroine's learn a big lesson. The ending was sweet, and fuck you, I may have came close to tearing up a bit. 

The visual effects are stunning. While the plot itself is all over the place and not exactly true to Lewis Carroll's story, the weirdness of it all is. I especially love the little metal "Seconds" working in Time's giant clock. They click together like Transformers to form minutes and hours. We didn't need this sequel. Most reviews are already shitting over it and it's bombing at the box office, but you know what? It's not that bad. For a film that doesn't even hit the two hour mark, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Recommended: Perhaps. (How's that for a rec?)

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "I came straight through the walls. Poof." - Alice (Mia Wasikowska)

Comments

  1. Well, shit. I actually hated the piss out of the first one, but I'd be willing to consider this one after reading this.

    Hmmm...a dilly of a pickle, this is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine if you hated the first one you'll probably hate this one too. lol

      Delete
  2. I didn't mind the first film and thought the sets were great and the colours. We shall see how this one will be since so many people really dislike Johnny Depp right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unfortunate, I think that's playing into a lot of the reason this film is failing at the box office and we don't even know if those claims are true.

      Delete
  3. I actually didn't mind the first film either! I'm going to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen 2010's Alice in Wonderland so suffice to say I'm not that interested in seeing this. I think the only players I enjoy watching here is Helena Bonham Carter, she's always a hoot to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They toned her down quite a bit in this one, which was a good move.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum