DVD Review: The Rum Diary

Nothing in moderation.
 
Considering how excited I was to see this film initially, it's a little embarrassing how long it took me to review the damn thing.
 
Journalist Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp) is assigned to write for a newspaper in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He hopes this job will take him further, but he's really just swimming in circles. He's a drunk, his room mate is a drunk. They manage to piss of locals and tourists alike. Soon Kemp finds himself smitten with the wealthy Sanderson's (Aaron Eckhart) girlfriend Chenault. (Amber Heard) That brings on a whole other level of trouble.
 
I happened to be in San Juan while they were filming this, I even ran into Amber Heard in the hotel lobby. (who at that point, I recognized from All The Boys Love Mandy Lane) So it was cool to see all the sights that I saw on film. The film itself was a lot more boring than I expected. The reviews for this were sour, but I still thought it would be a little fun. It was at times. The thing is, aside from Depp, Eckhart and Heard, all of the other actors are below mediocre. It was a little unsettling to see such an obvious line drawn in talent.  I wouldn't go as far as calling The Rum Diary a bad film, because staring at Johnny Depp for an hour and a half is never bad. I just wish it had more heart.
 
Recommended: No
 
Grade: C
 
Memorable Quote: "Why did she have to happen? Just when I was doing so well without her." - Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp)

3 comments:

  1. I thought the film was one big mess, but I loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite liked this one. It wasn't great, but it was funny and good looking movie. I wish Heard had better career though, it seems she is either in bad or mediocre films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still interested in this one.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this sentence you should probably leave a comment.